Do you like tinkering with engines and cars? Do you want to learn more about the motor industry and prefer a more hands-on approach to learning? Then this entry level IMIAL qualification in motor vehicle at City College Plymouth is ideal for you. It’s the first step you can take towards achieving your ambition of gaining a career in the motor vehicle industry. The diploma will also include personal and social development opportunities.
The course involves you studying both the theory and practical aspects of the following:
- introduction to motor vehicle workshop safety, the maintenance and repair industry and workshop tools and equipment
- introduction to engine components and operation, steering and suspension, cooling and lubrication systems, braking systems, wheels and tyres
- introduction to fuel, transmission and ignition systems.
You will also gain a broad knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace, and other skills associated with working on motor vehicles.The course also includes:
- NOCN induction award
- one functional skill to entry level 3.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
There are no specific entry requirements, however good communication and people skills are an advantage, as is enthusiasm and a commitment to completing the course.
You will be assessed by a variety of practical tasks and assessments, and online and paper exams.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2017/18 (August 2017 – July 2018). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2018/19.