You will be able to recognise the skills, knowledge and competence required in order to work with ante and postnatal clients in an unsupervised manner. There will be focus on the considerations for safe and effective exercise and how to plan and adapt exercise for these particular clients.
The course covers the following areas:
- the physical changes which take place during the ante and postnatal periods
- the benefits of exercise/physical activity for ante and postnatal women
- how to support ante and postnatal clients in exercise
- the contra-indications to exercise for ante and postnatal clients
- how to manage risks in ante and postnatal exercise sessions
- the nutritional requirements for the ante and postnatal period
- the principles of collecting information to plan an exercise programme for ante and postnatal clients
- how to screen ante and postnatal clients prior to planning an exercise programme
- how to plan an exercise programme for ante and postnatal clients.
You will need to hold a YMCA Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing or equivalent.
You will be assessed via coursework and a multiple choice examination.
Upon successful completion you may progress to the YMCA Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral at the College, or the:
- YMCA Level 3 Award in Adapting Exercise for Independently Active, Older People
- YMCA Level 3 Award in Programming and Supervising Exercise with Disabled Clients.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2021/22 (August 2021 – July 2022). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2022/23.
If you are aged 16-18, due to Government funding, tuition fees may not be applicable for your course. (Please note: this does not apply to Foundation Degrees or Access to Higher Education courses, and other courses not eligible for public funding.)