Beauty Therapy is one of the largest, most trusted and continually expanding industries within the Hair and Beauty Sector. As a Beauty Therapist you could find yourself working in a range of workplace environments from small, bespoke salons to high end and spas. The main duties for a Beauty Therapist are:
- Carrying out beauty therapy treatments
- Carrying out confidential beauty treatment consultations with clients
- Implementing and practicing safe ways of working
- Selecting, using and applying a range of beauty therapy techniques to provide treatments including waxing services, hand and nail treatments, foot treatments, facial skin care treatments, eyelash and eyebrow treatments and basic massage treatments
- Facilitate the client journey, make appointments and handle payments
- Provide advice and recommendations on the beauty treatments and appointments
Within this Apprenticeship, you will have training sessions at City College Plymouth one day a week, term-time, to give you the skills and knowledge required to succeed in the industry. You will also receive direct training from the business you are employed by for your Apprenticeship who will work with the College to ensure you are reaching your maximum potential via regular workplace observations and reviews.
An Apprenticeship is broken down into three core learning categories – skills, knowledge and behaviours. You will also cover individualised units for waxing services, hand and nail treatments, foot treatments, facial treatments, eyelash and eyebrow treatments, make-up application and basic massage treatments. For the Level 2 Beauty Therapist Apprenticeship you will cover the following core learning categories:
- Beauty therapy industry, legal and organisational requirements
- Beauty Therapy duties, standards of appearance, personal hygiene, etiquette, housekeeping
- Commercially viable times for the completion of treatments
- The role of the reception and associated areas
- How to make appointments for salon services, the types of products and treatments in beauty therapy and related industries, client confidentiality and rights, the client journey (from meet and greet to advice and support)
- Use of tools, equipment, materials and products
- Workplace housekeeping: cleaning, disinfection, sterilisation, waste disposal
- How to recognise and reduce the risk of injury to self and others by maintaining correct posture
- Carry out and maintain beauty therapy legal, industry and organisational requirements for professionalism and demonstrate a passion for the industry
- Meet organisational and industry standards of appearance; work under pressure, observe time management and self-management
- Provide advice and recommendations on the beauty treatments, products, aftercare and appointments
- Describe the range of treatments and products in the beauty therapy industry
- Maintain effective, hygienic and safe working methods
- Maintain the client’s modesty, privacy and comfort
- Ensure personal hygiene and protection meets industry, organisational and local authority requirements
- Correctly use, store and dispose of personal protective equipment
- Personal and professional ethics: demonstrates a commitment to quality, maintains honesty, integrity and confidentiality
- Flexible and positive attitude: Adapts positively to changing work priorities and patterns when new tasks need to be completed or requirements change
- Maintain client care principles and practices: show clients/customers respect at all times and in all circumstances, demonstrate client empathy, sensitivity and awareness
You will be taught, guided and assessed on the above topics over the duration of your Apprenticeship to prepare for your achievement. This will be done via tutor practical sessions and visits at the workplace from your designated assessor who will ensure you are competent in the job you are doing.
To undertake this Apprenticeship you will be required to undergo an assessment with the course tutor. This is nothing to worry about! The tutor will have a conversation with you in order to assess your employability skills and your keenness to learn. They will also want to find out about any prior knowledge you may have. The assessment may include a practical task and a short workbook of basic questions about the industry.
If you do not already hold a GCSE at a grade 4-9 (A-C) or Functional Skill (level 1 – 2) in English and maths then you will be asked to complete a short assessment to determine what level you are currently working at. The results from this, combined with your tutor meeting, will ascertain whether we will be able to accept you onto an Apprenticeship and work with you to find an employer to begin your learning journey.
In order to finish this apprenticeship you will have to pass an end-point assessment. The end-point assessment is the name given to a series of tests you must take to prove your ability to do the job you have been training for. These tests take place at the end of the Apprenticeship following a period of training and development.
This Apprenticeship has an expected duration of 15 months, however this may vary depending on your readiness to sit the end-point assessment.
Once you have completed your Level 2 Beauty Therapist Apprenticeship, you will have gained all the basic skills required to get recognised and progress in this exciting industry. You will be able to progress to full time employment or there may be the chance to progress to a Level 3 apprenticeship.
By applying for this position you will go through the College’s assessments and once successful, you will be assigned a Business Engagement Officer who will guide you into employment by supporting you to find the best suited workplace.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2020/21 (August 2020 – July 2021). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2021/22.
If you are aged 16-18, due to Government funding, tuition fees may not be applicable for your course. (Please note: this does not apply to Foundation Degrees or Access to Higher Education courses, and other courses not eligible for public funding.)