Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings
Course Code: BREG
Subject area: Engineering, Automotive & Marine
Awarding body: City & Guilds
Course type: Short course
Time of Day: Daytime
Duration: One day
When you'll study: Thursdays, 9.00am - 5.00pm
Do you work in building construction or as a domestic electrician? Familiarise yourself with important building requirements and compliance methods with the Certificate in Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings.
The certificate is for those working in the building trades and others who need to know how electrical installations in homes can affect a building’s construction.
The course covers general requirements of the building regulations in relation to electrical installations in dwellings.
Upon successful completion, you will be able to:
- describe the building regulations in terms of scope, purpose and structure
- state the type of building work that is: a) notifiable and; b) non-notifiable
- identify relevant approved documents
- describe how building regulations are enforced
- identify the role of building control services by the a) Local Authority Building Control Services b) Approved Inspector’s Building Control Services
- identify methods of compliance with the six parts of the Building Regulations most relevant to electrical installations in dwellings
- identify methods of compliance with approved documents in A: (structure) for electrical installations; a) notches and holes in floors and roof joists; b) chases in a structure
- identify methods of compliance with approved document b (fire safety) for electrical installations: a) fire alarm and fire detection systems b) recessed luminaries and other electrical equipment installed in ceilings and maintenance of breaches of required fire barriers c) lighting of escape routes
- identify methods of compliance with approved document e (resistance to the passage of sound) for electrical installations a) recessed luminaries and other electrical equipment installed in ceilings containing sound absorbent material and maintenance of breaches of sound absorbent material following installation of equipment
- identify methods of compliance with approved document f, including ventilation extraction rates and the interaction of mechanical extract ventilation and combustion appliances
- identify methods of compliance with approved document l1 (conservation of fuel and power) for electrical installations a) internal lighting b) external lighting c) suitable types of lamps
identify methods of compliance with approved document m (access to, and use of, buildings) for electrical installations a) mounting heights for electrical equipment.
You should be a qualified electrician or a qualified individual in an allied trade. You should also be practicing your trade in England and Wales.
You will be assessed via a multiple-choice online exam. This is an open book assessment and you will be allowed to take into the examination one or both of the following permitted reference material:
- Electrical Installers’ guide to the Building Regulations for Dwellings and Associated Areas in England and Wales jointly published by the NICEIC and ECA (ISBN: 0-9548791-0-4)
Electrician’s Guide to the Building Regulations (Part P, 2nd Edition). Published by the IET. (ISBN: 978-0-86341-862-4).
This qualification will help you gain knowledge on building regulations, helping you advance in your practice as an electrician or in another building trade.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2020/21 (August 2020 – July 2021). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2021/22.
If you are aged 16-18, due to Government funding, tuition fees may not be applicable for your course. (Please note: this does not apply to Foundation Degrees or Access to Higher Education courses, and other courses not eligible for public funding.)
Course Code: BREG
A Full Course Fee: Not applicable to this course
B Reduced Course Fee (for those in receipt of qualifying benefits): Not applicable to this course
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): Not applicable to this course
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: Not applicable to this course
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 18||FREE|
|19 - 23||FREE|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.