Business Skills for the Fitness Professional
Course Code: YMBSFP
Subject area: Sport & Leisure
Awarding body: YMCA
Course type: Part-time
Time of Day: Evening
Duration: Distance learning
When you'll study: Distance learning - learn at a time and pace to suit you in the comfort of your own home
The aim of this qualification is to equip you with the skills, knowledge and competence required to market, plan and deliver a successful training service. You will apply the knowledge and skills you have learned to prepare a financially sound business strategy. This qualification is particularly relevant for those wishing to work on a freelance basis.
The course covers the following areas:
- the components and the purpose of a business plan
- establishing a business within the required legal frameworks
- researching business ideas
- creating a marketing plan
- how to identify and exploit internal and external factors that can affect the business
- using targets and objectives
- product levels and how to manage the lifecycle of products and services
- building a pricing strategy and payment policy
- the importance of forecasting financial information.
You will need to hold a level 2 fitness instructor qualification and a level 2 qualification in English.
You will be assessed via a business plan project and a case study.
The course could be the foundation for entry to a level 3 business related course, as well as continuing with other CPD in the fitness industry. Upon successful completion you may progress to the YMCA Level 3 Award in Instructing Outdoor Fitness at the College.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2021/22 (August 2021 – July 2022). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2022/23.
If you are aged 16-18, due to Government funding, tuition fees may not be applicable for your course. (Please note: this does not apply to Foundation Degrees or Access to Higher Education courses, and other courses not eligible for public funding.)