Construction design, planning and surveying are sectors that quite literally shape the world we live in. A career in the industry allows you to be part of that.
Whether maintaining existing buildings and historic houses or designing the homes for the future – there are routes for everyone, whatever you want to be. The variety of the sector means no two days are the same – one day you could be in the office and the next day you could be abseiling down a bridge.
T Levels are a new qualification designed to give you a head start towards the future you want. They follow GCSEs and are equivalent to three A Levels.
This two-year T Level qualification brings classroom and work placement together on a course designed with employers and businesses.
You’ll spend 80% of your time between the workshop and the classroom and 20% on a 45-day placement to give you the skills and knowledge employers are looking for.
Your T Level will help you to step straight into your chosen career, an Apprenticeship or a degree.
Between your on site placement and classroom learning, you will develop a general understanding of construction. The modules that you will study include:
- health and safety
- the science behind building design, surveying and planning
- making accurate and appropriate measurements
- construction methods
- building regulations and standards
- data management and information standards in construction
- relationship management and customer service
- how the Internet of Things (IoT) impacts construction
- digital engineering techniques
- mathematical techniques to solve construction problems
- construction design principles and processes
- the construction industry and its role in the economy
- sustainability and the environmental impact of construction
- business, commerce and corporate social responsibility
- project management
To be successful on this level of programme you will need an appropriate level of understanding in English and maths to be able to fulfil the coursework requirements.
We welcome applications from those who have one or more of the following:
- five GCSEs at grades 9-4; you must have gained a grade 4 in English and a grade 5 in maths
- a level 2 BTEC certificate or equivalent, graded merit or above
- successful completion of an Apprenticeship programme.
This course is currently only for 16 to 18-year-olds.
You will be assessed through written and practical examinations, employer projects, group work, presentations and analysis.
This T level will help prepare you for a multitude of progression routes from higher Apprenticeships through to further studies at college or university or directly into employment.
The course can help you gain employment in the following areas:
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2021/22 (August 2021 – July 2022). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2022/23.
If you are aged 16-18, due to Government funding, tuition fees may not be applicable for your course. (Please note: this does not apply to Foundation Degrees or Access to Higher Education courses, and other courses not eligible for public funding.)