Creative Theatre Practice
Course Code: UF5798, UX5798
Subject area: Performing Arts, Music & Live Events
Awarding body: University of Plymouth
Qualification: Higher National Certificate
Course type: Full-time
Time of Day: Daytime
Duration: One year (full-time), two years (part-time)
Our HNC will enable you to develop the creative, technical and employability skills essential for working in today’s highly diverse performing arts industry. The course has been designed to operate as closely as possible to real world projects and processes, so you will be engaged in public performance work throughout the year. There are also opportunities to work with other performance groups and organisations across the City.
The course includes the following subjects:
- creative process in production: explores the creative and practical processes involved in developing a performance concept through to touring production. You will identify a role or roles as part of a performance company working within a clearly defined project that facilitates the development of industry skills.
- object theatre: explores a range of performances techniques that relate to object, puppet and mask theatre. You will develop technical skills in a range of specialist areas, from traditional to contemporary. The module will develop “in the moment” training and improvisation skills, as well as the creation and development of performance through focused manipulation of inanimate objects.
- core techniques (voice): focuses on developing the technical and artistic skills of the voice. You will study the mechanics of vocal production, the tuning of the voice for spoken and sung performance, and the development of an individual practice programme.
- core techniques (body): partnering with the voice module, core techniques (body) focuses on the technical and expressive skills of the actor’s body through the study of movement and physical training.
- broadcast performance: explores the role of the actor in the development of performance for audio and TV broadcast. You’ll be introduced to the specific technical and creative demands made of the performer when working on a film/television/digital production.
- the creative actor: explores improvisation practices and develops playfulness, spontaneity and awareness of what it means to take risks in performance. You will explore a variety of creative and exciting approaches to live performance.
We welcome applications from those who have the following:
- 48 UCAS points
- five GCSEs as grade 9-4 (C or above), to include English and maths
- any related work experience will be beneficial and considered towards entrance.
Acceptance on this course is by audition only. Applicants are asked to prepare a two minute monologue of their choice. Independent Safeguarding Agency (ISA)/ Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance is required.
All accreditation of certificated learning and accreditation of prior experiential learning arrangements will be dealt with on an individual basis in line with the City College Plymouth and the University of Plymouth regulations.
There are no formal exams.
On successful completion of this course, you may be able to progress to:
- the FdA Creative Theatre Practice Foundation Degree at the College
- a range of careers in the performing arts industry.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2018/19 (August 2018 – July 2019). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2019/20.
Course Code: UF5798
A Full Course Fee: £7450
B Reduced Course Fee (for those in receipt of qualifying benefits): Not applicable to this course
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): Not applicable to this course
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: Not applicable to this course
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 17|
|18 - 23|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.