Electrical Skills (Basic)
Course Code: PG27
Subject area: Construction & the Building Trades
Awarding body: City & Guilds
Course type: Short course
Time of Day: Daytime
Duration: One to five days
When you'll study: Various days, 9.00am - 4.00pm
Are you a mechanical fitter seeking to develop the foundation knowledge of electrical principles and basic concepts of electrical maintenance? This electrical skills basic course at City College Plymouth is the course for you. It will provide you with the knowledge to competently carry out first time maintenance and fault finding techniques.
On this course you will learn to:
- understand voltage, current, resistance, power and Ohms Law
- demonstrate an understanding of electrical circuit theory and circuit diagrams
- construct and test, a direct on line starter circuit
- use a logical fault-finding process to identify common faults on motors, contactors and associated devices
- competently use a variety of test equipment, digital multi-range test meters, insulation and continuity testers, and clamp meters
- demonstrate an understanding of methods of protection including fuses, circuit breakers and residual current devices
- safely disconnect and reconnect single and three phase supplies, a.c. motors and associated switchgear using isolating, locking off and permit to work procedures
- understand the concept of Full and half wave rectification and Transformer theory.
An appropriate level of mechanical engineering qualifications is required to undertake this course.
There will be practical examinations.
On successful completion you may wish to progress to another electrical course at the College, or use your new qualification to further your career.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2017/18 (August 2017 – July 2018). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2018/19.
Course Code: PG27
A Full Course Fee: £585
B Reduced Course Fee (for those in receipt of qualifying benefits): Not applicable to this course
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): Not applicable to this course
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: Not applicable to this course
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 18|
|19 - 23||may be free).(Note: If you do not have a level 2 qualification, this course|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.