Become a marine scientist or conservationist! City College Plymouth is extremely proud to offer this high quality, advanced level BTEC Extended Diploma in Marine Science and Conservation, which is equivalent to three A Levels. You will learn from experts in marine science in our specialist, well-resourced facilities, and benefit from the College’s close links with the National Marine Aquarium and the Mount Batten Centre. This course has a varied learning programme which can enable you to progress to environmental, maritime and sustainability industries or on to a wide range of universities studying subjects ranging from ecology to geology, environmental science and many more.
The course includes the following core units:
- understand the principles of sustainable development
- sustainable communities
- science for environmental technicians
- energy management
- informatics for environmental and sustainability industries
- the business environment
- understanding the principles of wildlife populations, ecology and conservation
- understanding principles of physical and biological environmental processes
Additional units include:
- undertake an investigative project in the environmental sustainability sector
- using mathematical tools in science
- using statistics in science
- understanding water quality
- practical chemical analysis
- understanding coastal management
- scientific practical techniques
- geology of natural resources
- geospatial technology and sustainable development
- water pollution control and management
- understanding river fishery creation and management
- extraction and refining of metals
You will need to have achieved five GCSEs at grade 9-4 (C or above), including maths, English language and at least one science.
There are no examinations. Assessment is by coursework only.
Upon successful completion, you may progress to a wide range of courses in marine science, marine biology, environmental science and environmental sustainability.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2018/19 (August 2018 – July 2019). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2019/20.
Course Code: NDESD
A Full Course Fee: Not applicable to this course
B Reduced Course Fee (for those in receipt of qualifying benefits): Not applicable to this course
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): £30
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: £2500
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 18|
|19 - 23||may be free).(Note: If you do not have a level 3 qualification, this course|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.