This qualification is aimed at those who would like to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise.
The course covers anatomy and physiology including:
- how to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- how to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- how to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- the skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a gym-based exercise programme with apparently healthy adults – both individuals and groups.
You will need to hold level 1 qualifications in English and maths.
- Multiple choice theory paper/e-assessment
- Practical examination
- Assessment workbook
Upon successful completion you may progress to the YMCA Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training at the College.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2020/21 (August 2020 – July 2021). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2021/22.
If you are aged 16-18, due to Government funding, tuition fees may not be applicable for your course. (Please note: this does not apply to Foundation Degrees or Access to Higher Education courses, and other courses not eligible for public funding.)