Food is Fun! (Cooking for Families)
Course Code: AIP1-FAM
Subject area: Hospitality & Catering
Awarding body: City College Plymouth
Qualification: College Certificate
Course type: Short course
Time of Day: Evening
Duration: Six weeks
When you'll study: Mondays, 6.00pm - 8.00pm
Make the kitchen the heartbeat of the household, with activities for all! Finding recipes that the family can cook together is the easy part – it’s the execution that many struggle with. Therefore, during these after school sessions, the family will get the opportunity to be creative and produce a whole host of tasty meals for the dinner table, BBQ or special events. Sign up now and let the fun begin!!
The course covers the following areas:
- the principal methods of cooking
- typical cooking methods for different produce
- prepare, cook and present simple dishes safely and hygienically, using wet and dry methods
- clean work areas and equipment safely and hygienically during and after preparing and cooking food
- safe working practices for different cooking methods
- how to plan and cost nutritionally balanced meals
- plan a two-course meal, taking into account basic nutritional value and costs
- cook a meal using fresh ingredients and convenience foods
- use domestic kitchen equipment to produce a meal
- produce a dish using different food preparation methods
- the importance of health and safety in a domestic kitchen.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
There are no exams.
Parents may progress to a range of hospitality and catering courses at the College. Those aged 14-16 can join the College’s Young Chef Academy.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2019/20 (August 2019 – July 2020). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2020/21.
If you are aged 16-18, due to Government funding, tuition fees may not be applicable for your course. (Please note: this does not apply to Foundation Degrees or Access to Higher Education courses, and other courses not eligible for public funding.)
Course Code: AIP1-FAM
A Full Course Fee: £60
B Reduced Course Fee (for eligible students): £0
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): Not applicable to this course
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: Not applicable to this course
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 18|
|19 - 23||may be free).(Note: If you do not have a level 2 qualification, this course|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.