The Diploma in GP Exercise Referral uses exercise prescription to get clients healthy after an illness and improve their health and wellbeing. Referral schemes from GPs, local authorities and the private sector means this specialism is not only high in demand, but highly rewarding and profitable. This course will train you to prescribe and deliver exercise for different health conditions. You will become an expert in the exercise referral process, while also learning about broader health care topics.
- Understand how to apply appropriate exercise strategies to a variety of medical conditions.
- Understanding a range of common medical conditions and how they affect exercise.
- Have knowledge about the referral process, including referrals to other professionals.
- How to apply healthy eating advice for a variety of medical conditions.
- How to communicate with clients effectively and provide support.
- Prescribe individual and group based exercise sessions for a range of medical conditions.
You will need to hold a level 2 or 3 gym instructor certificate.
You will be assessed via coursework and practical assessments.
Upon successful completion of this course, you may progress to working in health suites with patients referred from GP surgeries.
“Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2016/17 (August 2016 – July 2017). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2018/19.
If you are aged 16-18, due to Government funding, tuition fees may not be applicable for your course. (Please note: this does not apply to foundation degrees or access to higher education courses, and other courses not eligible for public funding.)”