Do you want a career focused on caring for others? You might want to work in health care, the NHS, care homes, nurseries or with people with disabilities or learning difficulties. There is a wide range of career paths available to students who study the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Health and Social Care at City College Plymouth. This is a full-time course that is equivalent to three A Levels and your study programme will also include English and maths if you have not already achieved grades A*-C (9-4). You will also have lots of opportunities to develop your work-ready skills and get work experience during your course. Once you successfully complete the course you can choose whether to start working or progress on to the Foundation Degree in Health and Social Care here at the College. You can also choose to apply to study at universities nationwide.
This course has been developed to provide a broad educational basis for further training, further education or direct employment within the health and social care sector. The qualification has been designed to be delivered in a work-related context to give you technical knowledge, skills and understanding of the subject at an advanced level. The core units of study include:
- human lifespan development
- working in health and social care
- anatomy and physiology for health and social care
- enquiries into current research in health and social care
- meeting individual care and support needs
- work experience in health and social care
- principles of safe practice in health and social care
- promoting public health.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
In our experience in order to be successful on this course you will need one of the following:
- five GCSEs at grades 9-4 (A*-C) (including English)
- an intermediate GNVQ
- a BTEC first diploma (merit and distinction unit achievement)
- an NVQ Level 2/technical certificate.
You must provide evidence of level 1 -2 mathematics functional ability.
Level 2 qualifications need to have been achieved at merit or above.
You will be expected to undertake an initial assessment to help determine their operational level of literacy and numeracy, this will be used to help guide learners to the most appropriate course.
As with any care or childcare course, once you have accepted the offer of a place, you will need to undergo an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check; this will be discussed at interview and you will be expected to contribute £22 towards the DBS check.
Since October 2014, all students undertaking work experience in child care settings are required to sign an additional declaration to confirm that they are not disqualified from working with children by association; this means that you confirm, to the best of your knowledge, that you are not living in the same household as an individual who is disqualified from working with children/young people.
Assessment will be via externally marked exams, as well as coursework and placement competence.
On successful completion you may progress to:
- the Health and Social Care Foundation Degree at the College
- NVQs in care
- a HNC in a health related subject
- a degree in a health and social care related subject
- further training with employment
- employment within social care professions. a high number of our students go on to work in nursing, social work and teaching, as well as social science fields like psychology, sociology and criminology.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2018/19 (August 2018 – July 2019). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2019/20.
Course Code: GHS3
A Full Course Fee: Not applicable to this course
B Reduced Course Fee (for those in receipt of qualifying benefits): Not applicable to this course
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): £40
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: £2500
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 18||C|
|19 - 23||C + D(Note: If you do not have a level 3 qualification, this course may be free).|
|24+||C + D|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.