Are you good with your hands? Do you have an eye for detail? Do you like the idea of working on luxury yachts? This City & Guilds Marine Carpentry course is aimed at those who wish to gain a broad range of outfitting, carpentry and practical skills relating to the marine industry. The study programme is predominantly practical and you will gain a wide range of marine focused hand skills ranging from basic carpentry joints to cabin fit out processes. You will also learn laminating skills relating to marine industry applications.
The course includes the following units:
- working safely in an engineering environment
- working efficiently and effectively in engineering
- using and communicating technical information
- using wood for pattern, model making and other engineering applications assembling pattern, model and engineering woodwork components
- producing composites mouldings using wet lay-up techniques.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
In our experience in order to be successful on this level of course you will need one of the following:
- four GCSEs at grades 3-1 (D-F)
- a BTEC foundation diploma in a related subject
- an NVQ level 1/technical certificate in a related subject
- equivalent qualifications or relevant work experience
You will be assessed through assignments, practical end tests and two City & Guilds online examinations.
On successful completion you may progress to:
- an Apprenticeship
- an appropriate level 3 course at the College
- employment within the industry as a trainee boat builder or laminator
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2018/19 (August 2018 – July 2019). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2019/20.
Course Code: BOC1
A Full Course Fee: £999
B Reduced Course Fee (for eligible students): £0
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): Not applicable to this course
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: Not applicable to this course
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 18|
|19 - 23||may be free).(Note: If you do not have a level 2 qualification, this course|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.