Are you a mechanical engineer looking to add to your existing training and competencies? This BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Mechanical Engineering at City College Plymouth provides the basis for a professional engineering career in the mechanical or manufacturing industry. The course studies the use of new technology in engineering but also relies heavily on the academic study of maths, science, and materials engineering. The mechanical engineering course is for students employed in an engineering environment.
The following units will be studied in the first year:
- properties and applications of engineering materials
- communications for technicians
- mathematics for technicians
- mechanical principles and applications
- health and safety
- engineering drawing for technicians
In the second year the following units will be studied:
- engineering project
- business operations in engineering
- electro, pneumatic and hydraulic systems
- further mechanical principles and applications
- application of mechanical systems in engineering
In our experience in order to be successful on this level of course you will need one of the following:
- four to five GCSEs at grades 9-4 (A*-C), including English and science and maths (higher maths) at grades 9-5 (A*-B)
- an intermediate GNVQ in a related subject and includes maths and science
- a BTEC first diploma in a related subject with a merit profile
- an NVQ Level 2 / technical certificate in a related subject
- equivalent qualifications
The minimum age for entry is 16.
You will be continuously assessed through assignments.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2017/18 (August 2017 – July 2018). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2018/19.