The role of a mechanical engineer is to take a product from an idea to the marketplace, and you’ll need a broad range of skills to achieve this. This course will teach you to understand the forces and thermal environment that a product, its parts or its subsystems will encounter, as well as how to design for functionality, aesthetics and environment. You will benefit from learning in the College’s excellent engineering facilities, including the state-of-the-art Regional Centre of Excellence for STEM.
For more information about this course please read the Programme Quality Handbook which contains programme specifications and module information.
This course includes the following subjects:
- applications of pneumatics and hydraulics
- management techniques in mechanical engineering
- engineering mathematics
- engineering science
- engineering materials
- CAD (computer-aided design) techniques and design.
We welcome applications from those who have the following:
- a level 3 qualification in Engineering
- an A Level at grade C or above in maths or science.
There are a variety of assessments ranging from exams, reports, essays, practicals and presentations.
On successful completion you may be able to progress to the:
- final year of the Mechanical Engineering Foundation Degree at the College following the completion of 40 credits of additional short course study
- second year of the BSc (Hons) Mechanical Design and Manufacture degree at the University of Plymouth
- first year of the BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering degree at the University of Plymouth (you must score above 60% overall and 60% in maths).
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2020/21 (August 2020 – July 2021). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2021/22.
If you are aged 16-18, due to Government funding, tuition fees may not be applicable for your course. (Please note: this does not apply to Foundation Degrees or Access to Higher Education courses, and other courses not eligible for public funding.)
Course Code: UX9012
A Full Course Fee: £3700
B Reduced Course Fee (for those in receipt of qualifying benefits): Not applicable to this course
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): Not applicable to this course
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: Not applicable to this course
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 17|
|18 - 23|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.