Do you want to know how to maintain and repair sports vehicles? The IMIAL Level 1 Diploma in Motorsport Maintenance and Repair at City College Plymouth is an exciting study programme which encompasses general vehicle maintenance and repair procedures, as well as specialist knowledge of fine-tuned racing machines. The course will provide essential knowledge for this specialist group of maintenance and repair technicians, and covers the basic technical needs of today’s industry.
You will study the following units:
- motorsport vehicle construction and routine maintenance
- operating principles of motorsport vehicle engines, tyres, brakes, steering and suspension systems
- operating principles and maintenance of motorsport vehicle transmission systems and electrical and electronic systems.
You will also work towards a City & Guilds 3268 Introductory Welding Certificate, gain a broad knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace, and other skills associated with working on competition vehicles.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
There are no specific entry requirements, however you must show a willingness to engage and a genuine interest in the course that will enable you to progress into employment or further education.
You will be assessed through a variety of practical tasks and assessments, and online and paper exams.
On successful completion you may progress to a level 2 course in Vehicle Maintenance and Repair at the College, an Apprenticeship in the sector, or employment in the industry.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2018/19 (August 2018 – July 2019). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2019/20.