This course is aimed at those interested in working in any area of the modern music industry, whether as a performer, recording artist, sound engineer, teacher or as a gateway to studying music at higher education level.
Throughout the course you will be encouraged to work in teams to stage performances in our ‘live room’ or the College’s STEM Theatre in conjunction with our live events students. There will also be the opportunity to perform at a variety of venues and festivals. Whether solo or ensemble, live or recorded, rock or reggae this course will give you the opportunity to explore your creativity and work on what interests you the most.
The first year of our course includes:
- an introduction to music performance and production, examining roles within the modern industry and looking at the building blocks of contemporary music
- the opportunity for you to develop the skills required to write and produce your own music – building on the musical elements examined in the first unit, you will use software such as Logic Pro to compose your own work in our IT suite and rehearsal rooms
- there are also units aimed at helping you to focus on and develop your instrumental or vocal skills, practical use of sound reinforcement in various scenarios, ability to learn and perform a wide variety of music quickly and to a high standard
- the level 3 Collaborative Music Project will encourage you to work with others, using your combined talents to develop a live or recorded project.
The second year concentrates on:
- expanding musical horizons by examining music from different cultures whilst
- preparing for a specific higher education or employment pathway
- it allows you to develop the requisite practical, intellectual, artistic, professional, communication and vocational skills necessary for progression within your chosen discipline
- the syllabus will encourage you to analyse your own skills and interests, identifying areas for improvement involving theoretical knowledge, practical ability and experience through a combination of one-to-one tutoring, group work, activities and experiences, you will propose your own final projects based on your chosen career or study path, and present and market your projects to online and real world audiences.
You will need to have four GCSEs at grades 9-4 (A*-C) (preferably including English and maths), although relevant experience will also be considered if you do not have these qualifications. You will also need to have a willingness to engage and a genuine interest in the course that will enable you to progress onto employment or further courses.
Your ability and enthusiasm is the most important factor and you will get the opportunity to demonstrate this at an audition.
This course is largely based on practical work; performances, recordings and compositions make up the majority of the evidence. There is also an element of written work including research, planning, keeping a reflective journal and presenting a portfolio of material to both real-world and online
audiences. We encourage using flexible assessment methods to meet the needs of a range of learning styles, including presentations, audio recordings, Vlogs etc.
Functional skills, or GCSE English/maths will also be assessed if appropriate.
Our level 3 course is often a gateway to acceptance on our level 4 music course. It will also prepare you for working in the music industry, as well as give you valuable skills in teamwork, organising events and self-promotion.
The experience gained in planning, troubleshooting and reflecting will stand those who gain the level 3 extended diploma in good stead for the next step in their musical careers.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2021/22 (August 2021 – July 2022). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2022/23.
If you are aged 16-18, due to Government funding, tuition fees may not be applicable for your course. (Please note: this does not apply to Foundation Degrees or Access to Higher Education courses, and other courses not eligible for public funding.)
Course Code: MUS2
A Full Course Fee: £4500
B Reduced Course Fee (for those in receipt of qualifying benefits): Not applicable to this course
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): Not applicable to this course
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: £4500
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 18|
|19 - 23||may be free).(Note: If you do not have a level 3 qualification, this course|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.