Course Code: GYM
Subject area: Sport & Leisure
Awarding body: YMCA
Course type: FREE (Eligibility Applies), Part-time
Time of Day: Evening
Duration: 22 weeks
When you'll study: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6.00pm - 8.00pm
Would you like to become a gym instructor, trainer or coach? This course at City College Plymouth is just the training you need! You’ll learn how to work with individual clients and groups in a personal training setting. This personal training course will also cover the fundamentals of the industry and the skills needed to work either for an organisation or as a self-employed trainer.
This course includes the following topics:
- how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- the principles of exercise, fitness and health
- anatomy and physiology for exercise and health
- programming personal training with clients
- delivering personal training sessions
- applying the principles of nutrition to a physical activity programme.
Ideally, you will already hold a level 2 qualification in a related field, but this is not essential.
Assessment will be through coursework, a multiple choice examination, a portfolio of evidence and a practical assignment.
On successful completion of this course, you may benefit from enhanced employment opportunities, or progress on to a higher education health and fitness course at the College.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2020/21 (August 2020 – July 2021). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2021/22.
If you are aged 16-18, due to Government funding, tuition fees may not be applicable for your course. (Please note: this does not apply to Foundation Degrees or Access to Higher Education courses, and other courses not eligible for public funding.)