Plumbing and Domestic Heating Technician
Course Code: A3/0225/00-P1
Subject area: Construction & the Building Trades
Awarding body: City & Guilds
Course type: Full-time
Time of Day: Daytime
Duration: Four years
When you'll study: Various days and times
How often have you heard someone ask if anyone knows a good plumber? The construction industry is booming, not to mention the maintenance and repairs required on houses already built. Our plumbing Apprenticeships at City College Plymouth can set you up as a plumber for life, and the rewards are there if you’re willing to work hard. You can work for a company on a regular wage, do contract work on large projects, or even set up on your own and be your own boss! The skills and qualifications are globally recognised, so you could even trade in the British weather for sunnier climates and take your skills overseas to work. On the intermediate Apprenticeship, you’ll learn about the installation and maintenance of plumbing systems and components. You’ll be working under minimal supervision to complete installation and maintenance of domestic hot water, cold water, sanitation, drainage, rainwater systems and central heating systems and components. Once you successfully complete this level, you can progress to the Advanced Apprenticeship, where your skill base will broaden and you’ll be able to enter the profession at a higher level. For example, you’ll be qualified to complete and oversee work to install, service, maintain and commission a range of domestic plumbing and heating systems. All this, and you can earn while you learn!
You will study the following subjects:
- safe working practices in building services engineering
- understand how to communicate with others within building services engineering
- understand how to apply environmental protection measures within building services engineering
- understand how to apply scientific principles within mechanical engineering services
- carry out site preparation, and pipework fabrication techniques for domestic plumbing and heating systems
- understand and apply domestic cold water system installation and maintenance techniques
- understand and apply domestic hot water system installation and maintenance techniques
- understand and apply domestic central heating system installation and maintenance techniques
- understand and apply domestic rainwater system installation and maintenance techniques
- understand and apply domestic above ground drainage system installation and maintenance techniques.
You will also study Functional Skills in maths, English and ICT. You will also learn Employee Rights and Responsibilities, as well as Creative Thinking, Independent Enquiry, Reflective Learning, Team Working, Self Managment and Effective Participation
Acceptance on this Apprenticeship is via initial assessment. Usually, progression onto the advanced Apprenticeship is on completion of an intermediate qualification in plumbing.
Assessment is continuous, both on and off the job. There will be multiple choice exams and practical assessments.
On successful completion, you may wish to continue your studies by moving onto a higher level Apprenticeship or course. You could also benefit from greatly enhanced job opportunities, whether with your current employer or elsewhere.
By applying for this position you will go through the College’s assessment procedure and once successful, you will be assigned a Business Engagement Officer who will guide you into employment by supporting you to find the best suited workplace.