Do you have a passion for, and a commitment to, public service and its improvement? This Foundation Degree in Public Services is awarded by the University of Plymouth and could help you achieve your aspirations for a career in public services. The course aims to develop knowledge and understanding of the wide and varied social, political and economic environments that public services operate within. These include the processes and procedures of the criminal justice system and the role of theory in interpreting these relationships within international, national and regional settings. You will broaden your knowledge and fine tune your skills to strive for a top career in the public sector, whether you want to work in the police force, local government or join the armed forces. You will have the opportunity to listen to, and network with, serving Public Service Officers, Fire Officers and members of other public service organisations through visits, work-placement days and guest lectures at the College. In short, this course will enable you to develop your academic and professional skills so that you can seamlessly progress to your chosen top-up degree course or into the workplace.
For more information about this course please read the Programme Quality Handbook which contains programme specifications and module information.
The programme includes the following subjects:
- political economy
- introduction to criminal justice
- citizen focus and service user perspectives
- applied psychology
- academic and professional practice
- public policy
- introduction to English criminal law
- research skills
- contemporary public service issues
- managing people
You will also develop the knowledge and skills to confidently interact with serving members of the public services and non-government organisations, and undertake a major research project for public sector organisations such as Devon and Cornwall Constabulary, Devon and Somerset Fire Service, and the Royal Marines.
We welcome applications from those who have all of the following:
- 32 UCAS tariff points
- four GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above, to include English and maths
- equivalent qualifications
- relevant work experience.
Should entry requirements not be met then individual cases will be considered.
Assessment will be on a continuous basis through a range of assessment criteria including presentations, essays and in-class tasks.
On successful completion of this course, you may be able to progress to:
- the one year top-up BSc (Hons) Public Services degree at the University of Plymouth
- the one year BSc (Hons) Public Services (Policing Studies) top-up degree at the University of Plymouth
- employment at all levels in one of the public services, particularly with the Police Force, but also with local government, youth services, prisons, the Fire Service and the Armed Forces.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2018/19 (August 2018 – July 2019). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2019/20.
Course Code: UF2443
A Full Course Fee: £6950
B Reduced Course Fee (for those in receipt of qualifying benefits): Not applicable to this course
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): Not applicable to this course
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: Not applicable to this course
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 17|
|18 - 23|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.