Do you want to know how to train as a fire-fighter, police officer or civil servant? Do you want to ensure you have the right mix of skills, knowledge and physical fitness to get a job in the emergency services or armed forces? This BTEC Certificate in Public Services at City College Plymouth will give you a working insight into each of the major aspects of public services life and a chance to look behind the scenes before you decide on your chosen career. It aims to provide an environment in which you can develop attitudes and an approach to life appropriate for a public service job. Additionally, there will be an introduction to each of the public services, their roles and selection procedures. This will include an appropriate number of visits and visiting speakers which will enable you to work closely with both the armed forces and emergency services. This public services course includes a rigorous programme of sport and fitness training including Dartmoor expeditions, rock-climbing and abseiling.
The course includes the following study areas:
- improving health and fitness
- sport and recreation
- adventurous activities
- public service skills
- career planning
- employment in the uniformed public services
- crime and its effects on society.
Extra curricular activities include:
- work experience and volunteering
- rock climbing and abseiling
- gorge scrambling
- theme park and water park visits.
Public services; not just a course, a challenge!
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
In order to gain entry onto the BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Public Services you must be successful during an interview and have one of the following:
- four GCSEs 3-1 (D-F) grade, including English and maths
- BTEC first certificate/introductory diploma at merit level
- relevant work experience
- NVQ level 1/technical certificate in a related subject
- equivalent qualifications
Yes, there will be two units externally assessed.
On successful completion you may progress to:
- employment in the Armed Forces, the leisure industry or in other areas pending the application to a public service eg police, fire and rescue etc
- the Level 3 Diploma in Public Services at the College
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2017/18 (August 2017 – July 2018). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2018/19.
Course Code: FPS
A Full Course Fee: £999
B Reduced Course Fee (for eligible students): £0
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): Not applicable to this course
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: Not applicable to this course
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 18|
|19 - 23||may be free).(Note: If you do not have a level 2 qualification, this course|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.