Practical carpentry and joinery skills are in high demand and our hands-on CSkills woodworking course at City College Plymouth will develop your basic skills further. We will expand and improve your planning, managing and organising skills, and show you how to avoid work-related accidents and unnecessary risks. You will learn how to get along with many different people in different situations, particularly when under pressure and working to deadlines.
The main subjects covered include:
- carrying out safe working practices
- information, quantities and communicating with others
- building methods and construction technology
- carrying out first fixing operations
- carrying out second fixing operations
- erecting structural carcassing
- carrying out maintenance
- setting up and operating a circular saw.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
In our experience in order to be successful on this level of course you will need one of the following:
- four GCSEs at grades 3-1 (D-F), including English and maths
- a BTEC foundation diploma in a related subject
- an NVQ level 1 / technical certificate in a related subject
- successful completion of the Gateway / Newstart course
- successful completion of the PLP / Prince’s Trust course
- equivalent qualifications or relevant work experience.
You will be continually assessed to the industrial standards set by the lead body, Construction Skills, and sit an external end of course exam.
On successful completion you may progress to the Level 3 Diploma in Wood Occupations at the College, an Apprenticeship in the sector, or employment as a fully qualified carpenter or joiner to increase your site experience.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2017/18 (August 2017 – July 2018). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2018/19.
Course Code: DIW2
A Full Course Fee: £999
B Reduced Course Fee (for eligible students): £0
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): Not applicable to this course
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: Not applicable to this course
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 18|
|19 - 23||may be free).(Note: If you do not have a level 2 qualification, this course|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.