T Levels Information for Employers
T Levels are a new level 3 technical qualification – equivalent to three A Levels – for school leavers (16 to 18-year-olds) to study after completing their GCSEs.
T Levels will bring together classroom study with a significant work placement (industry placement) to give young people the skills and knowledge required to be ready to work in a wide range of sectors and industries.
T Levels are being introduced in phases. The first T Levels at City College Plymouth will start in September 2022 in the following subject areas:
- education and childcare
- engineering and manufacturing
- health and science.
An industry placement is an extended period of work experience to give students the opportunity to develop their practical and technical skills in a role that relates to their course.
Placements last for 45 days, and can be arranged to fit in with your needs.
Students on industry placements bring with them enthusiasm, good subject knowledge and skills to support your business.
- Help nurture and develop talent.
- Cost-effective recruitment for entry-level jobs and Apprenticeships.
- Bring in people with imaginative new ideas and different skills.
- Upskill your staff with the chance to mentor a young person.
- Extra resource for specific projects.
- Increase capacity.
We will support you at every stage of the process, from making sure that students are ready to go on a placement, to checking in with you to see how students are progressing.
Placements are part of young people’s study, so they are not paid a salary. You can pay them if you wish to, or help with things like travel expenses.
If there are other costs that you incur for a student on an industry placement, such as providing protective gear, specialist equipment or DBS checks, we may be able to help with these. Please contact us for more information.
Apprenticeships are jobs with training, for young people who are ready to work. An apprentice spends 80% of their time in paid employment and 20% learning in the classroom.
T Levels are for young people who want to continue studying and gain work experience with a real employer on a worthwhile industry placement. T Level students complete employability training so they understand the demands and expectations of the workplace before the placement starts.
Both are very different to school work experience, which lasts one to two weeks.
We want you to help design a placement that will both benefit your business and teach young people the skills you look for in an employee.
You must make sure the work environment is safe, the student has a line manager to support them and provide an appraisal of the student’s time on work placement.
Please call our Business Engagement Team on 01752 305026 or e-mail email@example.com and one of the team will chat through your organisation and how you can take a student on an industry placement.
There are a few things which you will need to commit to, which include:
- providing at least 45 days’ work placement
- agreeing a work plan with City College Plymouth and the student – these will include relevant learning objectives that are linked to the sector and the student’s area of study
- making sure the working environment is safe and allow the student to develop their practical skills in a safe way
- having a dedicated member of staff to mentor and supervise the student, and provide feedback on their progress
- providing feedback at the end of the placement.