Choose a Sector
Adult Care Worker Apprentice
Care and Childcare
Number of vacancies:
This is a general application for an Adult Care Worker Apprenticeship, applying for this does not guarantee you a place on an apprenticeship but will register your interest. We are currently working with businesses in Plymouth and the surrounding areas to secure opportunities for applicants.
Salary per week:
£4.30 per hour at minimum. Your wage will depend on the hours worked.
An apprentice must work a minimum of 30 hours per week, however most work around 40.
Adult Care Workers are the frontline staff who help adults with care and support needs to achieve their personal goals and live as independently and safely as possible, enabling them to have control and choice in their lives.
This apprenticeship can apply to a variety of job roles including Care Assistant, Care Worker, Support Worker, Relief Team Worker, Support Worker – Supported Living, Substance Misuse Worker, Learning Disability Support Worker, Mental Health Support Worker, Mental Health Outreach Worker and Re-enablement Worker.
To work in care is to make a positive difference to someone’s life when they are faced with physical, practical, social, emotional or intellectual challenges. Adult Care Workers need to have the right values and behaviours developing competences and skills to provide high quality compassionate care and support. They are the frontline staff who help adults with care and support needs to achieve their personal goals and live as independently and safely as possible, enabling them to have control and choice in their lives which is at the heart of person centred care.
Daily duties for this role will depend on the type of employer. For people who need support to live at home and in their community you could:
- help with washing and dressing
- make food or help with eating
- get to know their interests and needs
- do household jobs, like washing clothes and shopping
- monitor their weight and record any concerns they have
- check they’re taking their prescribed medications
- support their physical and mental wellbeing through activities
You could also:
- support families who have new caring responsibilities
- give emotional and practical support to children and young people
- work with other health and social care professionals
- help organise leisure activities and outings
Training will be provided by City College Plymouth with regular attendance required at the Kings Road campus, as well as direct training within the workplace.
Over the 15-18 month apprenticeship, you will work towards the following:
- Level 2 Adult Care Worker Standard
- Behaviours, Skills & Knowledge
- Functional Skills in maths and English at level 1 (if not already exempt through prior qualifications)
In addition to College attendance you will have regular visits at the workplace from a designated College assessor to observe your progress and competence in the role you are carrying out.
As part of your application you will need to complete an assessment with the College’s Care team to see your current ability, desire and drive to work within this industry. We are not expecting you to have any prior skills or knowledge, just the willingness to succeed and employability factors.
Qualities and skills:
- sensitivity and understanding
- a desire to help people
- the ability to work well with others
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- customer service skills
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Depending on the business you secure your apprenticeship with, will determine what your progression routes are. The College will be able to establish whether the contract of employment is for the duration of the apprenticeship only, or whether future opportunities will be available.
By applying for this position you will go through the College’s assessments and once successful, you will be assigned a Business Engagement Officer who will guide you into employment by finding the best suited workplace.