Choose a Sector
Apprentice Commis Chef
Catering and Hospitality
Number of vacancies:
Kapadokya Turkish Restaurant / The Mad Merchant's Coffee House
37 New Street, Plymouth, PL1 2NA
Salary per week:
Working hours to be confirmed but may include evenings and weekends. Total hours per week: 30.00
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic apprentice Commis Chef who wishes to enhance their skills, set across both a traditional Turkish restaurant and quirky coffee shop on Plymouth’s historic Barbican. This vacancy is being managed by City College Plymouth who will deal with your initial application.
We are looking for an exciting, enthusiastic and hard working individual to come and join our small, friendly team down here on the cobbles.
The successful candidate must be willing to learn and be prepared to go the extra mile in ensuring the high standards our Head and Sous Chef’s expect, along with handling pressure when service is busy. We are offering the chance to work in both businesses so shift patterns will vary. You will also need to be able to adapt quickly to the different needs of each business.
Our kitchens are small so you must be able to work closely and efficiently with your colleagues within a small area. You will gain experience in learning new and exciting dishes and ingredients that you will hopefully be able to take with you as your career flourishes.
You must be confident and able to work as part of a close knit, friendly team and also embrace different cultures and traditions. You must not be afraid to ask questions and make notes whilst being trained. We will do everything we can to make you feel at home and looked after.
You will be required to work most weekends as part of your shift pattern, including throughout our busy summer season and Christmas.
List of Duties:
- Assist the Head Chef and Sous Chef in the effective and efficient organisation of both kitchens
- Comply with all Food & Hygiene Regulations, Health & Safety at Work Act and Fire Regulations. Full training will be given
- Learn the butchery skills needed in the preparation of dishes particularly in the restaurant
- Help with food prep prior to the business opening
- Learn the preparation and cooking of all of our dishes on both the restaurant menu and coffee shop menu
- Operate commercial cooking appliances such as ovens, grills, fryers hobs and microwaves
- Prepare, cook and plate up dishes ready for service
- Ensure food is date checked, labelled and rotated
- Record information in the F.S.A diary pages
- Perform KP duties when needed. We all help each other so when there is washing up or cleaning to do it is not just one person’s job, it is whoever is able to do it at the time
- You will assist in the bringing in and putting away of deliveries
- You will be expected to attend your course at Plymouth City College on your designated days in order to further your education
- You will assist in the cleaning of kitchen appliances and the close down at the end of service
- You may also, on occasion, be required to aid the front of house staff with carrying dishes to customers
- Commis Chef Level 2 Apprenticeship
- Functional Skills if required
All training to be provided by City College Plymouth in collaboration with the company themselves throughout the duration of the apprenticeship
Qualities and skills:
Some experience within the hospitality industry, whether it be educational courses or employment is essential.
- Hard Working
- Well Organised
Possible progression within the company, dependent on performance, apprenticeship completion, attitude and business growth.
Our kitchens are small and housed within old listed buildings. The kitchens can get very warm and busy all of a sudden so the candidate must be able to adapt quickly. We do not have a gas supply into either kitchen so all cooking is done using electric appliances.