Choose a Sector
Apprentice Welder / Fabricator
Number of vacancies:
Westcountry Fabrication Ltd
Unit 9, Gwel Avon Business Park, Gilston Road, Saltash, PL12 6TW
Salary per week:
You will be working alongside a team of highly skilled and experienced fabricators on a diverse range of projects, from large structural steel beams, to feature staircases, to stainless steel balustrading. You will primarily be involved in production (fabrication and processing steel in the workshop). But you will also be expected to develop your understanding of every element of the fabrication process, from design, to manufacture, production and installation. Your duties will be performed under supervision so you must be comfortable working with people and in an industrial/factory setting.
- You will develop skills in MIG, TIG and ARC welding.
- Operation of fabrication equipment such as cropping, folding, rolling, punching, plasma cutting
- Working from technical drawings, building plans and sketches to produce a finished product from raw and subcontracted parts.
- Structural steel work
- Wrought iron work
- Jig making
- Checking tools to make sure they operate correctly and are in good condition
- Quality control of products produced
- Fitting of finished work when required
- Ensuring deadlines are met and production levels are as high as possible
- Keeping a clean and tidy workshop
- Working as a team
- Receiving and off-loading steel deliveries
- Reporting non-conformances to the workshop foreman
- Adhering to Health and Safety requirements at all times
- Recording time sheets accurately
This is a Level 2 Engineering Operative Fabrication Apprenticeship programme run in conjunction with City College Plymouth involving:
- A one-year day release programme to gain a level 2 technical certificate in Engineering Operations
- Work-based learning and training to gain a level 2 certificate / diploma in an engineering / manufacturing discipline
- Extensive on-the-job training with one of our experienced machine setters
This apprenticeship has an expected duration of 12-18 months. The length in which your apprenticeship takes to complete very much depends on your learning journey, how quick you are able to competently carry out tasks, your understanding of engineering theory and your readiness to qualify. An apprentice is able to complete an apprenticeship within 12 months, but no sooner.
Qualities and skills:
- Must have a good attention for detail and ability to work accurately (for example to be able to measure material and cut to specific sizes)
- Good levels of verbal communication and listening skills
- Must be motivated to improve your skills
- It is essential that you must be able to follow instruction to maintain a safe working environment
- Hands on and hardworking
- Professional with a positive attitude towards health & safety
- Self motivated
- Able to work as a team and independently when required
No formal qualifications required for this position but you must be able to read, write and use basic mathematical skills (such as for measuring and documentation purposes).
As part of our selection process we will be looking for evidence of your skills and personal qualities as described above, either through previous work experience, schooling, hobbies or personal projects.
The successful applicants may progress to a permanent role within the business. We have an excellent team that we have grown over our 10 years in operation but as we continue to grow we have struggled to recruit new candidates with the right skill set and work ethic, this has driven us to look to training an apprentice to join our team. The right candidate will have the opportunity to join our team as a full time Welder/Fabricator upon completing the apprenticeship. The best candidates will bring initiative and motivation to continue to develop and grow our business. If the business continues to grow at it’s current rate we will also be seeking managerial support in the future.
You will work from our industrial unit. Steel Fabrication is a dirty and sometimes noisy environment. You will be provided with required PPE.