Choose a Sector
Number of vacancies:
This is a general application for an Automotive Apprenticeship. We are currently working with businesses in Plymouth and the surrounding areas to secure opportunities for applicants.
Salary per week:
£4.15 per hour at minimum. Your wage will depend on the hours worked.
An apprentice must work a minimum of 30 hours per week, however most work around 40.
As an apprentice vehicle mechanic you will be trained to complete a range of services and repairs, working four days a week with an employer and then spending one day a week at City College Plymouth receiving training with our experienced Automotive team. To start with you will shadow qualified and experienced mechanics in the workplace as they carry out a variety of different tasks, as time goes on and you gain knowledge and experience you will take on more responsibility and eventually find yourself completing tasks as directed by your colleagues. You will be trained to repair and maintain vehicles, make routine maintenance checks, test vehicles to find faults and carry out servicing. This is an apprenticeship which will suit someone who is hands-on and has a real passion for how things work.
Day to day tasks could include:
- Finding and diagnosing faults using hand tools or computers
- Repairing and replacing faulty parts
- Carrying out routine servicing and maintenance
- Checking stock levels and order parts
- Updating vehicle service records
- Maintaining a clean and safe workspace
- Assisting senior colleagues
- Interacting with customers
- Fit aftermarket accessories
Training will be provided by City College Plymouth with regular attendance required at the Kings Road campus, as well as direct training within the workplace.
Over the month 30 apprenticeship, you will work towards the following:
- Level 2 Autocare Technician Standard
- Behaviours, Skills & Knowledge
- Functional Skills in maths and English at level 1 (if not already exempt through prior qualifications)
In addition to College attendance you will have regular visits at the workplace from a designated College assessor to observe your progress and competence in the role you are carrying out.
As part of your application you will need to complete an assessment with the College’s Automotive team to see your current ability, desire and drive to work within this industry. We are not expecting you to have any prior skills or knowledge, just the willingness to succeed and employability factors.
Qualities and skills:
- Good hand skills and hand-eye coordination
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving skills
- Customer service skills
- The ability to work well within a team and also using your own initiative
- Persistence and determination
- Able to flexible with working hours
- Able to follow instructions
Depending on the business you secure your apprenticeship with, will determine what your progression routes are. The College will be able to establish whether the contract of employment is for the duration of the apprenticeship only, or whether future opportunities will be available.
Once you complete this apprenticeship with City College Plymouth you may be able to progress onto the level 3 Motor Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician apprenticeship.
By applying for this position you will go through the College’s assessments and once successful, you will be assigned a Business Engagement Officer who will guide you into employment by finding the best suited workplace.