Choose a Sector
Number of vacancies:
10 Hobbs Crescent, Saltash, PL12 4JJ
Salary per week:
Working hours will be across Monday to Friday with start and finish times varying depending on the job you are working on. Generally the working day will begin between 7-8am. Total hours per week: 40
Jamie Preston Bricklaying are looking to take on an apprentice to develop within their workforce and start a long-lasting career. They are seeking an enthusiastic and reliable candidate who is keen to learn and has a passion to work in the construction industry.
The successful individual would be working on a wide range of new build sites in Devon & Cornwall. As Jamie Preston Bricklaying are based in Saltash, this will be the location for pick up in the mornings so please bare this in mind when applying.
In order to start working for Jamie Preston Bricklaying it is a requirement to hold a CSCS card. A CSCS test needs to be completed in order to order the card and is a way of verifying you have the knowledge required within health and safety to work on a building site. The CSCS card is not a requirement to apply for the apprenticeship initially, but it would be worthwhile booking the exam as soon as you can. This can be done via the link below. You need to take the Operatives exam.
- Lay bricks, blocks and other types of building components in mortar to construct and repair walls, foundations, partitions, arches and other structures eg chimney stacks
- They will also refurbish brickwork and masonry on restoration projects
- The range of sites and projects that bricklayers will work on include large commercial developments, new builds in housing, alterations, extensions and restorations
- A bricklayer may work one-on-one or on larger jobs where their bricklaying group (gang) may work on a particular section of a building alongside other bricklaying gangs as well as other trades
- You will initially carry out labouring type work as you pick up skills in the early days of your apprenticeship
- You will need to have the understanding of what you do and how you do it before you are able to work at the level of the other members of your team, so observation and questions are key to learning the ropes of this job
The Level 2 Bricklayer apprenticeship standard is delivered over a 2 year period with College attendance required one day per week at City College Plymouth. In addition to College attendance you will be assessed at the workplace by the College to prove your competency in this line of work.
On completion of this Apprenticeship, the apprentice will have satisfied the requirements to obtain a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) Card at the appropriate level. As a result of achieving the Apprenticeship, there will be an entitlement to join the Federation of Master Builders’ continuous professional development (CPD) scheme for individual tradespeople.
Qualities and skills:
- Good practical Skills
- Ability to work Carefully and accurately
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Good awareness of health and safety
- Able to carry out physically strenuous work
- Hard working
- Sense of humour
- GCSE C/4 or above in English and maths is desirable, however you will still be considered without these grades.
On completion of your apprenticeship you will have the opportunity to stay with the business and go onto further training.
Please consider the nature of this job role when applying. You will be working in all weather conditions carrying out very strenuous manual work and will need to keep up with workload.