Choose a Sector
Number of vacancies:
Plym Developments Ltd
67 Sherford Road, Plymouth, PL9 8BJ
Salary per week:
Monday to Friday 7/7.30am pick up, 4/4.30pm finish. Total hours per week: 40:00
An apprentice bricklayer will perform the following
tasks under supervision and guidance;
• Work from plans and specifications
• Seal foundations with damp-resistant materials
• Spread layers of mortar to serve as a base and
binder for bricks, remove excess mortar, and check
vertical and horizontal alignment
• Use various tools and brick-cutting machines to
cut and shape bricks
• Construct arches and ornamental brickwork
• Repair and maintain clay bricks, cement
blocks/bricks and related structures
All training to be provided by City College Plymouth in collaboration with the company themselves throughout the duration of the apprenticeship.
Your apprenticeship may consist of the following components;
- NVQ Diploma
- Technical Cert
- Functional Skills maths and English
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
All components will be agreed upon before the start of the apprenticeship.
Qualities and skills:
- A commitment to quality work – shown through your dedication to your apprenticeship and in the work that you do
- A passion for practical skills
- The ability to follow specific plans and instructions precisely
- The ability to work in a well organised and accurate way
We do not expect apprentices to have worked on a site but we are always keen to hear from those that already have construction site experience, which can be gained by working as a labourer.
As an apprentice working with Plym Developments Ltd, we expect you to have:
- A responsible attitude towards work safety, especially at height
- Good team working skills
- A commitment to punctuality and self-motivation
On successful completion of your level 2 Bricklaying apprenticeship, you will have the opportunity to progress onto the advanced level apprenticeship if suitable.
Pick up points in the morning are available at Marsh Mills, Plympton, Plymstock, Manadon and the Tamar Bridge area. Please ensure on application that you are able to get a near pick up point for accessing work each morning, alternatively have your own transport.
You must be prepared to work in all weathers and adapt to a physically strenuous job.
As a part of the application process, you may be required to undertake diagnostic assessments with City College Plymouth. Until these assessments are complete your application will not be viewed by the company.