Choose a Sector
Number of vacancies:
This is a general application for a Carpentry Apprenticeship. We are currently working with businesses in Plymouth and the surrounding areas to secure opportunities for applicants.
Salary per week:
£4.30 per hour at minimum. Your wage will depend on the hours worked.
An apprentice must work a minimum of 30 hours per week, however most work around 40. Generally working Monday - Friday.
Carpentry is one of the oldest trades and qualified carpenters continue to be in high demand. The primary work performed is the cutting, shaping and installing of wood and timber building materials. As an apprentice carpenter you could be working on construction sites, private housing and public buildings fitting products such as windows, doors, staircases, skirting and internal and architectural joinery.
There are many varied roles within this sector and the type of employer you work for will largely determine the type of work you carry out, but day to day tasks may include:
- Cutting and shaping timber for floorboards, doors, skirting boards and window frames
- Making and fitting wooden structures like staircases, door frames, roof timbers and partition walls
- Making and assembling fitted and free-standing furniture
- Installing kitchens, cupboards and shelving
- Building temporary wooden supports to hold setting concrete in place
- Making and fitting interiors in shops, bars, restaurants, offices and public buildings
- Constructing stage sets for theatre, film and TV productions
Training will be provided by City College Plymouth with regular attendance required at the Kings Road campus, as well as direct training within the workplace.
Over the 24 month apprenticeship, you will work towards the following:
- Level 2 Carpentry Standard
- Behaviours, Skills & Knowledge
- Functional Skills in maths and English at level 1 (if not already exempt through prior qualifications)
In addition to College attendance you will have regular visits at the workplace from a designated College assessor to observe your progress and competence in the role you are carrying out.
As part of your application you will need to complete a practical and theory assessment with the College’s Carpentry team to see your current ability, desire and drive to work within this industry. We are not expecting you to have any prior skills or knowledge, just the willingness to succeed and employability factors.
Qualities and skills:
- Good attention to detail
- Good communication
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Enthusiastic and keen to learn
- Good practical skills
- Able to deal with the physical aspect of the job role
- An interest in construction
- Excellent co-ordination
Depending on the business you secure your apprenticeship with, will determine what your progression routes are. The College will be able to establish whether the contract of employment is for the duration of the apprenticeship only, or whether future opportunities will be available.
Many of the apprentices who complete this apprenticeship with City College Plymouth are able to progress onto the level 3 Carpentry apprenticeship and then onto a level 4 Higher National Certificate in Construction.
By applying for this position you will go through the College’s assessments and once successful, you will be assigned a Business Engagement Officer who will guide you into employment by finding the best suited workplace.