Choose a Sector
Catering and Hospitality
Number of vacancies:
Salary per week:
- Learn different procedures of food preparation
- Prepare ingredients for dishes upon the instructions of catering staff
- Assist in operating commercial cooking equipment such as stoves, cookers, ovens and fryers
- Make sure that food supplies are stored properly and used resourcefully
- Ensure that food items are properly rotated in refrigerators and any near expiry ones are dealt with according to the canteen
- Help catering staff in cooking activities by providing input and managing work
- Set up food stations by following assistant catering manager’s orders
- Make sure that recipes are followed properly during food preparation and cooking time
- Handle portion control requirements and presentation standards
- Arrange food items aesthetically on serving plates
- Make sure that the kitchen is clean and organized at all times
- Ensure that best food practices and kitchen hygiene protocols are adhered to
- Provide guidance to kitchen staff in upholding high culinary standards
- Assist catering manager in developing menus and provide suggestions for alternatives such as sauces and levels of spice for each dish
- Make sure that all leftover food is stored properly
- Assist in checking food deliveries for both quantity and quality standards
- Provide input into stock rotation activities and make sure that food inventory is in check
- Maintain a “clean as you go” work ethic
- To be aware of and adhere to applicable rules, regulations, legislation and procedures including the School’s Equal Opportunities Policy and Code of Conduct, national legislation (including Health and Safety, COSHH, Data Protection and copyright legislation).
- To be responsible for your own continuing self-development, undertaking training as appropriate, attending college once a week
- To undertake other catering duties appropriate to the grading of the post as required
All training to be provided by City College Plymouth in collaboration with the company themselves throughout the duration of the apprenticeship.
You will be enrolled onto the Level 2 Food Production apprenticeship for this job role.
Qualities and skills:
- Team Player
It is essential that you have excellent communication skills as you will be dealing with staff and customers on a daily basis as well as working as part of a team. The ability to use your own initiative is key, not only to ensure you work effectively and efficiently, but also to ensure you manage your own training.
A person with a calm, friendly and flexible approach is required with an ability to work under pressure
A possible career in catering establishments
Working at a fast pace in a hot environment, on your feet all day
As a part of the application process, you may be required to undertake diagnostic assessments with City College Plymouth.
Please ensure that you check your emails for a City College Plymouth application form, this will need to be filled and returned for you to complete these assessments.
Until these assessments are complete your application will not be viewed by the company.