Choose a Sector
Catering and Hospitality
Number of vacancies:
Moorland Road, Plympton, Plymouth, PL7 2RS
Salary per week:
£143 per week (£4.15 per hour/34.5 hours per week)
Mon to Thurs: 0800 - 1500, Fri: 0800 - 1430
We are looking for someone to prepare food to the manager’s specification and set up serving stations. Duties will consist of assisting both the assistant and catering manager with their daily tasks.
To work as an apprentice chef, one must be passionate about food and all that it stands for. Some knowledge of the food service industry can go a long way in helping you understand how it works in the real world; chefs usually prefer hiring apprentices who show initiative and curiosity. While working as an apprentice chef you will learn a lot; this knowledge will prove to be invaluable to you when you work as a chef later on.
Learn different procedures of food preparation
Prepare ingredients for dishes upon the instructions of catering staff
Assist in operating commercial cooking equipment such as stoves, cookers, ovens and fryers
Make sure that food supplies are stored properly and used resourcefully
Ensure that food items are properly rotated in refrigerators and any near expiry ones are dealt with according to the canteen policies
Help catering staff in cooking activities by providing input and managing work
Set up food stations by following assistant catering manager’s orders
Make sure that recipes are followed properly during food preparation and cooking time
Handle portion control requirements and presentation standards
Arrange food items aesthetically on serving plates
Make sure that the kitchen is clean and organized at all times
Ensure that best food practices and kitchen hygiene protocols are adhered to
Provide guidance to kitchen staff in upholding high culinary standards
Assist catering manager in developing menus and provide suggestions for alternatives such as sauces and levels of spice for each dish
Make sure that all leftover food is stored properly
Assist in checking food deliveries for both quantity and quality standards
Provide input into stock rotation activities and make sure that food inventory is in check
Maintain a “clean as you go” work ethic
To be aware of and adhere to applicable rules, regulations, legislation and procedures including the School’s Equal Opportunities Policy and Code of Conduct, national legislation (including Health and Safety, COSHH, Data Protection and copyright legislation).
To be responsible for your own continuing self-development, undertaking training as appropriate, attending college once a week
To undertake other catering duties appropriate to the grading of the post as required.
Training will be provided by City College Plymouth with regular attendance required at the Kings Road campus, as well as direct training within the workplace.
Over the 18 month apprenticeship, you will work towards the following:
- Level 2 Food Production Standard
- Behaviours, Skills & Knowledge
- Functional Skills in maths and English at level 1 (if not already exempt through prior qualifications)
In addition to College attendance you will have regular visits at the workplace from a designated College assessor to observe your progress and competence in the role you are carrying out.
As part of your application you will need to complete a practical assessment with the College’s Chef to see your current ability, desire and drive to work within this industry. We are not expecting you to have any prior skills or knowledge, just the willingness to succeed and employability factors.
Qualities and skills:
- Ability to work as part of a team
- It is essential that you have excellent communication skills as you will be dealing with staff and customers on a daily basis as well as working as part of a team
- The ability to use your own initiative is key, not only to ensure you work effectively and efficiently, but also to ensure you manage your own training
- A person with a calm, friendly and flexible approach is required with an ability to work under pressure
- No formal qualifications are required to apply for this apprenticeship, but GCSE’s in English and maths (grade A-D / 9-3) or equivalent will be looked at by City College Plymouth on application. If you do not hold GCSE’s or equivalent in maths and English you will be required to complete an initial assessment
- A basic food hygiene qualification would be an advantage
There may be the chance for permanent employment for the right candidate, upon successful completion of the apprenticeship. Completion of this apprenticeship could also lead on to a career in catering.
Please be aware that you will be working in a hot, fast paced environment and will be working on your feet for the duration of your shifts.