Choose a Sector
Number of vacancies:
This is a general application for an Electrical Installation apprenticeship. We are currently working with businesses in Plymouth and the surrounding areas to secure opportunities for applicants.
Salary per week:
£4.15 per hour at minimum. Your wage will depend on the hours worked.
An apprentice must work a minimum of 30 hours per week, however most work around 40. Generally working Monday - Friday.
As an Electrical apprentice you will support qualified electricians in the planning, building, installation, maintenance, operation and repair of electrical systems. This can be a varied industry and you could find yourself working in industrial, commercial and domestic environments, indoors or outside and potentially working at height. This is an advanced apprenticeship that will take approximately 48 months to complete during which you will work four days a week and spend one day a week at City College Plymouth receiving training from the experience Electrical team. This will suit you if you are looking for a hands on career in an industry with varied roles and great future prospects.
Day to day tasks could include:
- Working under the direct supervision of qualified electricians
- Handling tools
- Repairing and replacing parts in electrical systems
- Checking existing electrical systems to ensure all components are working safely
- Installing electrical systems
- Fault finding
- Building electrical equipment
- Performing routine maintenance and safety checks
- Communicating with clients
- Carrying out tasks for colleagues as directed
Training will be provided by City College Plymouth with regular attendance required at the Kings Road campus, as well as direct training within the workplace.
Over the 48 month apprenticeship, you will work towards the following:
- Level 3 Installation Electrician/Maintenance Electrician Standard
- Behaviours, Skills & Knowledge
- Functional Skills in maths and English at level 2 (if not already exempt through prior qualifications)
In addition to College attendance you will have regular visits at the workplace from a designated College assessor to observe your progress and competence in the role you are carrying out.
As part of your application you will need to complete a practical assessment with the College’s Electrical team to see your current ability, desire and drive to work within this industry. We are not expecting you to have any prior skills or knowledge, just the willingness to succeed and employability factors.
Qualities and skills:
- Good manual skills and hand eye coordination
- Good verbal and written communication
- Good knowledge of maths
- Able to follow instructions
- Attention to detail
- Able to be flexible with working times based on customer demand
Depending on the business you secure your apprenticeship with, will determine what your progression routes are. The College will be able to establish whether the contract of employment is for the duration of the apprenticeship only, or whether future opportunities will be available.
By applying for this position you will go through the College’s assessments and once successful, you will be assigned a Business Engagement Officer who will guide you into employment by finding the best suited workplace.