Choose a Sector
Number of vacancies:
This is a general application for an Engineering Apprenticeship. We are currently working with businesses in Plymouth and the surrounding areas to secure opportunities for applicants.
Salary per week:
£4.15 per hour at minimum. Your wage will depend on the hours worked.
An apprentice must work a minimum of 30 hours per week, however most work around 40. Generally working Monday - Friday.
As an Engineering apprentice your exact job role will depend on the company that you work for with every engineering apprenticeship tailored to the business you’ll be working in, so no two are alike. You will generally be learning how to use machine and hand tools to build, assemble, repair and maintain various types of equipment. This is an apprenticeship that would suit you if you are hands-on and have a passion for applying maths and science to real world situations. You will receive training from our experienced Engineering team at City College Plymouth alongside working and developing experience, knowledge and skills. An apprenticeship in Engineering could lead on to studying for university level qualifications.
Day to day tasks could include:
- Cutting and shaping parts and tools
- Repairing and maintaining machines and tools
- Operating machine tools such as lathes and grinders
- Using hand tools
- Maintaining service records for equipment
- Fitting new parts as required
- Following instructions completing work to a high standard
Training will be provided by City College Plymouth with regular attendance required at the Kings Road campus, as well as direct training within the workplace.
Over the 4 year apprenticeship, you will work towards the following:
- Level 3 Engineering Standard
- Behaviours, Skills & Knowledge
- Functional Skills in maths and English at level 2 (if not already exempt through prior qualifications)
In addition to College attendance you will have regular visits at the workplace from a designated College assessor to observe your progress and competence in the role you are carrying out.
As part of your application you will need to complete a practical assessment with the College’s Engineering team to see your current ability, desire and drive to work within this industry. We are not expecting you to have any prior skills or knowledge, just the willingness to succeed and employability factors.
Qualities and skills:
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Able to carefully follow instructions
- Attention to detail
- The ability to work in a team as well as using own initiative
- Good communication skills
- Quick learner
- Good knowledge of maths and science
Depending on the business you secure your apprenticeship with, will determine what your progression routes are. The College will be able to establish whether the contract of employment is for the duration of the apprenticeship only, or whether future opportunities will be available.
By applying for this position you will go through the College’s assessments and once successful, you will be assigned a Business Engagement Officer who will guide you into employment by finding the best suited workplace.