Choose a Sector
Hair Professional Apprentice
Hair and Beauty
Number of vacancies:
Hair at No. 1
1 Sefton Avenue, Plymouth, PL4 7HB
Salary per week:
Times TBC, Total hours per week: 30.00
This apprenticeship combines employment and training directly with Hair at No.1. You will develop valuable practical experience by working in a salon environment and being exposed to a high standard of professional hairdressing on a day to day basis. City College Plymouth will manage all applications made to this apprenticeship vacancy.
Hair At No.1 are looking for an enthusiastic and creative individual to start working with their team for an immediate start. If you are currently in some form of education or training and are unable to start right away, please still get in touch as we may be able to organise some work trial periods amongst your current studies before starting the apprenticeship in the summer.
Main salon duties
- Maintaining a safe, healthy and clean environment
- Assisting senior colleagues to deliver salon services
- Engaging positively with clients and promoting a positive image of yourself and the salon
- Greeting and gowning clients in readiness for hairdressing services
- Preparing tools, equipment and products for services
- Carrying out shampooing, conditioning treatments, removing colours, neutralising perms and any other tasks deemed suitable under supervision, if required
- Answering the telephone, dealing with enquiries and making appointments
- Processing client payments
- Making and serving refreshments for clients
- Promoting salon services and products
- Ensuring the salon is clean and tidy at the end of the day
- Commitment to training by attending all training session, assessments and reviews
- Attending staff meetings
- Attending in-salon training and City College Plymouth training sessions
- Completing work that is set by City College Plymouth
- Taking part in reviews and appraisals
During this 23 month apprenticeship you will be working towards your Level 2 Hair Professional apprenticeship. This will involve 1 day a week attendance to City College Plymouth and the remainder of your contracted hours at Hair At No.1. Your College day is a paid day by the business where you are expected to gain the knowledge and skills required to progress yourself over time.
The salon will also give you training which will involve close mentoring to ensure you are building confidence and ability at a steady pace.
You will be assessed throughout the duration of your apprenticeship at College and visits to the workplace to ensure progression is made.
Qualities and skills:
- Previous experience would be an advantage but is not necessary
- You must be passionate about the hairdressing industry and keen to learn from experienced Stylists
- You must be a good communicator and have a friendly attitude
- Computer literacy and the ability to learn the salon appointment booking system is required (training provided)
- As a candidate you must be someone that enjoys working under pressure assisting the team in busy periods
- Presentable and well-groomed
- Punctual and reliable
- Good communication skills
- Able to work to consistently high standards
- Cooperative and a team player
- Eager to learn
- Professional attitude
GCSE (or equivalent) grades in English and maths at C/4 or above would be desirable, but not essential.
If you do not hold the above qualifications then you will have to sit assessments at City College Plymouth prior to be put forward to the employer to ensure you are working at the right level to complete this apprenticeship.
On completion of your apprenticeship you will have the opportunity to continue with the salon if there is a position available and you have shown good ability in your hairdressing skills.
Please consider that Saturday work will be required, though not usually a full day.
You will need to prepare a CV for this position.