Choose a Sector
Hair and Beauty
Number of vacancies:
38 Morshead Road, Plymouth, PL6 5AH
Salary per week:
This apprenticeship is full time employment with training. It involves assisting with the upkeep of the salon, dealing with clients, carrying out hairdressing services and assisting colleagues. You will develop valuable practical experience by working in a salon environment and being exposed to a high standard of professional hairdressing on a day to day basis. The practical skills you learn will be underpinned by the theoretical aspects and gain a nationally recognised hairdressing qualification and apprenticeship certificate.
Main salon duties:
- Maintaining a safe, healthy and clean environment
- Assisting senior colleagues to deliver salon services
- Engaging positively with clients and promoting a positive image of yourself and the salon
- Greeting and gowning clients in readiness for hairdressing services
- Preparing tools, equipment and products for services
- Carrying out shampooing, conditioning treatments, removing colours, neutralising perms and any other tasks deemed suitable under supervision, if required
- Answering the telephone, dealing with enquiries and making appointments
- Processing client payments
- Making and serving refreshments for clients
- Promoting salon services and products
- Ensuring the salon is clean and tidy at the end of the day
- Commitment to training by attending all training session, assessments and reviews
Within this apprenticeship, you will be enrolled onto the Level 2 Hair Professional apprenticeship with City College Plymouth. You will attend College 1 day per week (term time) learning the skills and knowledge it takes it become a qualified hairdresser. You will work in the salon alongside this for a minimum of 30 hours per week. The salon will also assist your training with set sessions for you to practice. You will be under the guidance of a qualified member of staff during all training and development sessions.
This apprenticeship is approximately 23 months in duration and the College will set regular targets for you along the way to ensure that you are progressing as expected.
Qualities and skills:
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Computer literate, for managing the online booking system and completing College work
- Any experience of working in a salon environment is highly desirable
- The ability to work under pressure
- Presentable and well-groomed
- Punctual and reliable
- Able to work to consistently high standards
- Cooperative and a team player
- Eager to learn
- Professional attitude
No formal qualifications are required for this position, however, we would prefer candidates who have English and maths GCSE’s of A-C (4-9) or equivalent.
For the right candidate, future work in the salon will be available.
Please consider the location of the salon and ensure you can get here daily before applying for the role.
You will be contacted by City College Plymouth upon application to discuss the vacancy and request your CV. Please ensure you have a CV written which clearly states why you are looking for this type of role.