Choose a Sector
Healthcare Assistant Apprentice
Care and Childcare
Number of vacancies:
Salary per week:
You will be working shifts based a two week rota (To include weekends). Shifts are 7:00am to 2:00pm, 1:30pm to 9:00pm or 8:45pm to 7:15am. (Night shift applies to over 18's only)
As a Healthcare Assistant Apprentice you will receive full training to be able to provide help and support to people with a range of care needs, including people with physical and mental health needs. This support might be completely health related or could also include social work like engaging in a range of activities.
This role will also require you to help people with daily personal care like washing, eating and using the toilet. You may need to help people to walk safely and use equipment to move people. You will also need to be confident talking to family members. You will help to establish and maintain an environment which is conducive to rest and sleep and deliver care in a sensitive and person centred way, placing the client at the forefront of the care given.
As a Healthcare Assistant Apprentice you will understand the need to promote the privacy, dignity, independence, choice, rights and fulfilment of all clients, treating everyone with respect.
Duties for this role will include but are not limited to:
- Work in a unified and flexible manner to deliver excellent quality of service
- Assist with the admission, reception and discharge of any client which may require short, long or respite care
- Maintain client confidentiality at all times and to work with an attitude of respect and professionalism towards colleagues, clients and visitors
- Develop a knowledge of the client group in the organisation over a period of time
- To contribute to delivering a high level of care and service in accordance with the requirements of Care Quality Commission (CQC) standards
- To undertake the Care Services Programme, to enable you to safely administer medicines in the Home. On completion of this programme you will be required to administer medication as part of your role, in accordance with CQC and Royal Pharmaceutical Standards
- To work in a way that ensures that all vulnerable clients in your care are safeguarded and to be aware of the importance of reporting and recording of any concerns about clients that you may have
- To answer all emergency call bells, assess the situation, deal with situation and to adhere to the Company’s emergency procedure
- To carry out Person Centred regular checks of clients in your care ensuring their individual privacy and needs
- To assist all clients in your care where appropriate in maintaining independence and social interests
- To comply with COSHH & Infection Control regulations
- To wear and maintain PPE appropriately
All training to be provided by City College Plymouth in collaboration with the company themselves throughout the duration of the apprenticeship.
On the 15-18 month Level 2 Adult Care Worker apprenticeship standard, you will work towards the following:
- Adult Care Worker apprenticeship standard
- Care Certificate
- Diploma in Health and Social Care
- Behaviours, Skills & Knowledge
- Functional Skills in maths and English at level 2 (if not already exempt through prior qualifications)
Qualities and skills:
- Good organisational skills
- Good communication skills, including listening skills
- Caring and compassionate
- Cheerful and friendly
- Willing to be hands-on with patients
- Ability to follow instruction
- Willing to do personal care tasks (washing, using the toilet etc.)
- Good timekeeping
- No qualifications are required but a basic level of maths and English are essential. GCSE’s 4/C or above (Or equivalent) in maths and English would be beneficial as you would not need to study these alongside the apprenticeship
There may be the potential for employment upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, for the right candidate.