Choose a Sector
Hospitality Team Member Apprentice
Catering and Hospitality
Number of vacancies:
This is a general application for a Hospitality Team Member Apprenticeship. We are currently working with businesses in Plymouth and the surrounding areas to secure opportunities for applicants.
Salary per week:
£4.15 per hour at minimum. Your wage will depend on the hours worked.
An apprentice must work a minimum of 30 hours per week, however most work around 40. You will generally work a mixture of shifts including weekends and potentially evenings.
Undertaking an apprenticeship as a Hospitality Team Member is the perfect starting point to build a lasting career within the Hospitality industry. Your exact job role would vary greatly depending on the type of establishment you are working in but you would generally be working as part of a team to provide a service to members of the general public, often serving food and drinks. There are a wide range of establishments you could work in including hotels, cafes, bars, restaurants and venues that hold events such as weddings and conferences.
Whilst every apprentices experiences within hospitality will be different depending on the employer, undertaking an apprenticeship as a Hospitality Team Member will give you a solid foundation to start a career in an industry where no two days are the same.
Day to day tasks could include:
- Setting up a restaurant or venue ready for service
- Interacting with customers and taking food and drink orders
- Helping to organise events
- Making drinks
- Taking bookings
- Ensuring that all customers have the best possible experience
- Handling cash and operating a till
- Welcoming guests
- Assisting an existing team with the day to day running of an establishment
Training will be provided by City College Plymouth with regular attendance required at the Kings Road campus, as well as direct training within the workplace.
Over the 18 month apprenticeship, you will work towards the following:
- Level 2 Hospitality Team Member Standard
- Behaviours, Skills & Knowledge
- Functional Skills in maths and English at level 1 (if not already exempt through prior qualifications)
In addition to College attendance you will have regular visits at the workplace from a designated College assessor to observe your progress and competence in the role you are carrying out.
As part of your application you will need to complete an assessment with the College’s Hospitality team to see your current ability, desire and drive to work within this industry. We are not expecting you to have any prior skills or knowledge, just the willingness to succeed and employability factors.
Qualities and skills:
- Good communication skills
- Able to work well under pressure
- Polite and happy to interact with members of the public
- Ability to work varying shifts
- Commitment to deliver a high level of customer service
- Positive, can-do attitude
Depending on the business you secure your apprenticeship with, will determine what your progression routes are. The College will be able to establish whether the contract of employment is for the duration of the apprenticeship only, or whether future opportunities will be available.
Many of the apprentices who complete this apprenticeship with City College Plymouth are able to progress onto the level 3 Hospitality Supervisor apprenticeship.
By applying for this position you will go through the College’s assessments and once successful, you will be assigned a Business Engagement Officer who will guide you into employment by finding the best suited workplace.