Choose a Sector
Industrial Painting Apprentices
Number of vacancies:
Wood Group Industrial Services Ltd
36 Saltash Road, Goschen Centre, Keyham, Plymouth, Devon, PL2 1QS
Salary per week:
£8.67 per hour for 1st year of apprenticeship, £9.67 per hour for 2nd year of apprenticeship
Monday - Thursday 7:30am - 4pm Friday 7:30am - 1:30pm Total hours per week: 38.00
Based within Devonport Dock Yard you will be working on Warships, Submarines and other types of marine vessels. You will be trained on how to prepare surfaces, mix and apply specialist paint. This vacancy is being managed by City College Plymouth who will deal with your initial application.
You will be working within an industrial marine dockyard based in Devonport, Plymouth. Working within small teams you will be required to prepare, clean and paint surfaces using a variety of tools and techniques.
These will include:
- Using handheld and pneumatic tools
- Abrasive cleaning techniques
- Spray application
- Industrial vacuuming
- Maintenance and use of high pressure equipment
- Mixing and application of paint via hand, roller and machine applied paint methods
Daily duties for this vacancy will include but are not limited to:
- Prepare and clean areas for painting
- Apply paint, coat by coat, to required thickness
- Keep area of work clean and tidy at all times
- Read and adhere to risk assessments to ensure a safe place of work
- Wear appropriate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) at all times
For this vacancy you will be working towards an NVQ Level 2 Framework in Decorative Occupations (Industrial).
You may also be required to complete Functional Skills in Maths and English.
All training to be provided by City College Plymouth alongside the employer.
Qualities and skills:
- Comfortable working at heights and within confined spaces
- Able to carry out physical work using face masks, sometimes using breathing apparatus
- Must be enthusiastic and keen to learn
- Have excellent attention to detail
- Strong work ethic
GCSE Maths and English grade C/4 or above preferred but not essential.
Within 6 months of successfully completing the 2 year apprenticeship you will be placed on the ‘Train the Painter’ training course.
There will then be further opportunity to progress to roles such as:
- Paint Inspector
- Leading Hand/Supervisor
Before applying for this vacancy please consider the following:
- You must be able to work at height
- You must be able to work within confined spaces
- You will need to be clean shaven
- Alcohol and drug testing carried out prior to and during employment
- Security clearance required