Choose a Sector
Medical Receptionist / Telephonist
Number of vacancies:
Salary per week:
£148 – variant on age
37 hours per week
Wycliffe Surgery provides a primary medical service to approximately 5,300 patients of a diverse age group. The practice is a training practice for doctors who are training to become GPs and for medical students. There is a team of two GP partners, one male and one female.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join a vibrant GP practice in Cornwall as a Medical Receptionist Apprentice. You will offer general assistance to the Practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
-Handle general enquiries and procedures. Note minor surgery procedures appropriately. Make new and follow up appointments for doctors, practice nurses and attached staff.
· Reception and routing of patients on arrival, ensuring appropriate forms are filled in for temporary residents, emergency or immediately necessary treatment and new registrations.
· Answer telephone and deal with or redirect enquiries.
· Accept and pass on messages for nurses, Health Visitors etc.
· Record requests for home visits and contact duty doctor with late calls.
· Receive requests for repeat treatment and repeat prescriptions as directed by Practice policy. Mark review documents and contact patients for follow up.
· Issue repeat medication for onward checking by dispensary
· Aid disabled patients when necessary.
· Assist with closing down procedures: check heating, set telephone transfer, set burglar alarm and lock up premises.
· Air and tidy waiting room and reception.
· Update/provide appropriate waiting room posters
All training to be provided by City College Plymouth in collaboration with the company themselves throughout the duration of the apprenticeship.
Your apprenticeship may consist of the following components; NVQ Business Administration, Functional Skills Maths, English & ICT, Employee Rights and Responsibilities, and Personal Learning and Thinking Skills.
All components will be agreed upon before the start of the apprenticeship.
Qualities and skills:
Organised, punctual, friendly, excellent telephone manner and good under pressure.
You must be able to communicate with others, work well as part of a team and be able to work to deadlines.
GCSE C grade in English and Maths or equivelent
On completion of the level 2 apprenticeship you will have the opportunity to move onto further qualifications or roles.
As a part of the application process, you may be required to undertake diagnostic assessments with City College Plymouth.
Please ensure that you check your emails for a City College Plymouth application form, this will need to be filled and returned for you to complete these assessments.
Until these assessments are complete your application will not be viewed by the company.