Choose a Sector
Number of vacancies:
This is a general application for a Plumbing Apprenticeship. We are currently working with businesses in Plymouth and the surrounding areas to secure opportunities for applicants.
Salary per week:
£4.30 per hour at minimum. Your wage will depend on the hours worked.
An apprentice must work a minimum of 30 hours per week, however most work around 40. Generally working Monday - Friday.
As a plumbing apprentice you will be assisting a qualified plumber in carrying out a variety of tasks including installing, repairing and maintaining hot and cold water systems, installing and maintaining drainage systems and installing, maintaining and servicing boilers. You will gain experience as you work and, over time, would take on more responsibility for completing tasks under the supervision of experienced professionals. You may be required to work in customers homes, commercial premises or on building sites. Alongside working you will also attend City College Plymouth one day a week to receive hands on training from our experienced teaching staff.
Day to day tasks could include:
- Assist qualified plumbers on site
- Install water, drainage and heating systems
- Cut, shape and join pipes and fittings
- Find and fix faults
- Service gas and oil-fired central heating systems and radiators
- Install or repair domestic appliances like showers and washing machines
- Respond to emergency call-outs, like boiler breakdowns or blocked drains
Training will be provided by City College Plymouth with regular attendance required at the Kings Road campus, as well as direct training within the workplace.
Over the 48 month apprenticeship, you will work towards the following:
- Level 3 Plumbing and Domestic Heating Technician Standard
- Behaviours, Skills & Knowledge
- Functional Skills in maths and English at level 2 (if not already exempt through prior qualifications)
In addition to College attendance you will have regular visits at the workplace from a designated College assessor to observe your progress and competence in the role you are carrying out.
As part of your application you will need to complete a practical assessment with the College’s Plumbing team to see your current ability, desire and drive to work within this industry. We are not expecting you to have any prior skills or knowledge, just the willingness to succeed and employability factors.
Qualities and skills:
- To be thorough and pay attention to detail
- Knowledge of maths
- The ability to work well with others
- The ability to use your initiative
- The ability to work well with your hands
- Customer service skills
- Able to be flexible with working hours due to the demands of the business
- Good timekeeping
Depending on the business you secure your apprenticeship with, will determine what your progression routes are. The College will be able to establish whether the contract of employment is for the duration of the apprenticeship only, or whether future opportunities will be available.
By applying for this position you will go through the College’s assessments and once successful, you will be assigned a Business Engagement Officer who will guide you into employment by finding the best suited workplace.