Choose a Sector
Production Technician Apprentice (2 positions)
Number of vacancies:
EP UK INVESTMENTS LTD
Salary per week:
You will be learning to perform operation and maintenance of the site to achieve a high level of Health, Safety and Environmental performance, production performance and asset security in order to deliver agreed power generation production plans in line with customer requirements, safely and cost effectively.
Developing skills in planning work by carrying out:
- Risk assessments
- Methods statements
- Contract management
You will also be working within the Production team to support the delivery of the required levels of reliability, availability and flexibility of business targets whilst complying with statutory, regulatory, and Company policies, guidelines and standards, and industry best practice. Demonstrable through the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
Other duties will include:
- Learning to operate, maintain and inspect equipment to meet legislative requirements, (e.g. PAT testing; lifts; lifting equipment; cranes, DSEAR)
- Work with the Engineering Team to effectively plan and deliver outages to time, quality and budget
- To establish and maintain effective communication networks within own and wider team, ensuring business objectives and activities are understood and best practice is shared, through participation in toolbox talks and site meetings
- Support the Production team with the operational activities of a CCGT power plant comprising a complex and diverse range of equipment operating 24/7/365 in a stop and starting regime
You will be enrolled onto the level 3 Engineering Technician Apprenticeship standard, which has a 4-year duration, attendance detailed below:
- Year 1 – full time at City College Plymouth to build essential skills and knowledge for the workplace
- Year 2 – 1 day per week at City College Plymouth, 4 days at the workplace
- Year 3 – 1 day per week at City College Plymouth, 4 days at the workplace
- Year 4 – 1 day per week at City College Plymouth, 4 days at the workplace
In addition to College attendance, you will also be assessed at the workplace, by your designated assessor, to prove competence in the job you are doing.
This apprenticeship had endless opportunities and many apprentices from a level 3 often move onto degree level apprenticeships/training.
Qualities and skills:
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Teamworking skills
- Problem solving skills
- The ability to work under pressure, with guidance
- Good numeracy, literacy and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrable competence in use of IT/IS skill e.g. MS Office
- Flexible approach
- Good attention to detail
- A hunger to learn
- Adapts quickly to changes in the job and work environment
- Enjoys being fully involved in ensuring the business is a success
5 GCSE’s with grades 4/C or above or equivalent including maths, English and science.
On completion you will have the following skills: Level 3 NVQ Extended Diploma in engineering maintenance · BTEC level 3 ONC The following HNC may be offered upon successful completion of the NVQ level 3 & ONC listed above BTEC level 4 HNC in relevant discipline.
Things to consider
Please consider the location of the position and how you would get here daily, when required to go to work.
The four-year scheme will allow students to earn a wage whilst studying for their Advanced Apprenticeship (Level three), equivalent to two A-levels. The first year will be spent studying at City College Plymouth, with a further three years training at Langage power station with day release for further study. Opportunity to build and develop skills in the multi-disciplined areas of EC&I, Mechanical and Operations.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide is updated every April (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates