Choose a Sector
Production Welding Apprentice
Number of vacancies:
Rittal CSM Ltd
Broadley, Park Road, Plymouth, PL6 7EZ
Salary per week:
£249 (£6.64 per hour)
37.5 hours per week, shifts to be confirmed
Rittal is the worlds largest manufacturer of enclosures for the electrical, electronic and IT markets. We have an exciting opportunity for anyone wishing to kick-start their career with an apprenticeship in Welding. Studying at City College Plymouth, you will earn while you learn and become a valued member of the workforce in the process.
With dedicated, highly motivated and skilled staff the Company has achieved market dominance through a commitment to providing its customers with excellence in every respect. Rittal now have an exciting opportunity for anyone wishing to kick-start their career with an apprenticeship in Welding.
- Do you have a strong hands-on aptitude for mechanical engineering ?
- Do you have a proactive approach to work and learning ?
- Do you have the ability to work effectively as part of a fast moving production team ?
If you answered yes to the above, then this could be the apprenticeship for you !
Your day-to-day tasks for this role will consist of:
- MIG/TIG, spot and Injection welding of all aspects of structural steel
- Using Automated and Robotic Welding systems
- Position, preparing and checking the welding equipment
- Preparing, checking and protecting materials and work area ready for welding
- Completing and checking the finished weld ready for inspection
- Ensuring that health and safety requirements are fully accounted for in all the above
During the apprenticeship, you will learn how to:
- Understand the common electric welding processes, joint types (fillet, lap, butt, etc.) and positions
- Understand the major components of welding equipment and the essential parameters for welding
- Understand the terminology, operation and controls for the selected welding processes, joint types and welding positions
- Identify and understand the causes of typical welding defects and how their occurrence can be reduced, for the materials and welding processes selected
- Understand and identify hazards and basic health, safety and quality requirements when welding
- Know how to interpret and work to a welding procedure specification
- Know the basics of welding quality documents and reporting systems
This is a 2 year, day release Apprenticeship programme. The starting rate is £6.64 per hour with incremental rises on completion of the various apprenticeship training stages.
The interview process will include an informal interview and factory tour, a 2-day work trial and a formal final interview.
Other benefits include 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays, free parking, free staff uniform, subsidised staff restaurant, Company Reward Scheme and contributory pension scheme matched by the Company up to 5%.
All training to be provided by City College Plymouth in collaboration with the company themselves throughout the duration of the apprenticeship. An NVQ in Fabrication and Welding Level 2 will be awarded to the successful candidate on completion of the apprenticeship.
Qualities and skills:
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a fast moving team
- A proactive approach to work and learning
- Attention to detail
- Highly motivated
GCSE Grades C/4 or above particularly in Maths, English, Science, ICT, Resistant Materials, Engineering and Manufacturing preferred but not essential for the right candidate.
The potential for permanent employment upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, for the right candidate.