Choose a Sector
Teaching Assistant Apprentice
Education and Teaching
Number of vacancies:
This is a general application for a Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship. We are currently working with businesses in Plymouth and the surrounding areas to secure opportunities for applicants.
Salary per week:
£4.15 per hour at minimum. Your wage will depend on the hours worked.
An apprentice must work a minimum of 30 hours per week, however most work around 40.
As an Apprentice Teaching Assistant you will be working in Primary, Special or Secondary education across all age ranges to support the class teacher to enhance pupils’ learning, ensuring that pupils understand the work set, know their learning objectives and stay on task in order to make progress. This is a great way to start a career in Education as you gain hands-on work experience as well as a Level 3 Teaching Assistant qualification. This is an apprenticeship with a wide range of employers and where no two days are the same.
The day to day duties for this role will vary depending on your workplace but they may include:
- Assisting teaching staff with their day to day activities
- Helping to set up the learning environment for the daily lessons and helping to tidy away at the end of the session
- Advising and assisting students with their learning
- Assisting with lunchtime and after school clubs
- Attending training courses and meetings
- Helping with administrative tasks
Training will be provided by City College Plymouth with regular attendance required at the Kings Road campus, as well as direct training within the workplace.
Over the month 15-18 month apprenticeship, you will work towards the following:
- Level 3 Teaching Assistant Standard
- Behaviours, Skills & Knowledge
- Functional Skills in maths and English at level 1/2 (if not already exempt through prior qualifications)
In addition to College attendance you will have regular visits at the workplace from a designated College assessor to observe your progress and competence in the role you are carrying out.
As part of your application you will need to complete an assessment with the College’s Automotive team to see your current ability, desire and drive to work within this industry. We are not expecting you to have any prior skills or knowledge, just the willingness to succeed and employability factors.
Qualities and skills:
- Great communication skills
- A passion for education
- Hardworking and enthusiastic
- A good team player
- A friendly and flexible approach
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people
- Commitment to building and maintaining positive relationships with students and staff
- Patient and understanding
Depending on the business you secure your apprenticeship with, will determine what your progression routes are. The College will be able to establish whether the contract of employment is for the duration of the apprenticeship only, or whether future opportunities will be available.
By applying for this position you will go through the College’s assessments and once successful, you will be assigned a Business Engagement Officer who will guide you into employment by finding the best suited workplace and sending you details of relevant vacancies.