Choose a Sector
Teaching Assistant Apprentice
Education and Teaching
Number of vacancies:
Sparkwell All Saints Primary School
Sparkwell, Plymouth, Devon PL7 5DD
Salary per week:
£155, National Apprentice Minimum Wage
40 hours, 38 weeks per year. This will be Monday to Friday in term-time from 8.30a.m. - 5.00p.m with a 30 minute lunch break.
Do you love the idea of working with children and young people and want to earn while you learn? Are you passionate about improving pupils’ life chances? Sparkwell Primary School are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated apprentice to join their friendly and hardworking team from September 2020.
You will support children and colleagues, mostly based in Early Years and KS1 but with all ages at times during the day. You will have the chance to gain valuable work experience and develop a wide range of skills and experience. An interest in supporting children with Special Educational Needs would be an advantage and you need to enjoy going outdoors. At the end of your apprenticeship you will have achieved a nationally recognised qualification, and gained valuable work experience that could provide a range of openings for your chosen career.
Duties for this role will include:
- To help set up the learning environment for the daily programme and help tidy away at the end of the session, ensuring that all equipment is clean and safe at all times
- Advise the Early Years Leaders/Managers of any concerns regarding the welfare of the children, safeguarding, parents/carers or the safety of the equipment, preserving confidentiality as necessary
- To advise children, offering an appropriate level of support and stimulation
- To act as a key person to a small group of children, liaising closely with parents/carers and ensuring each child’s needs are recognised and met
- To be aware of any special needs a child may have and to familiarise oneself with relevant play and learning plans
- To attend training courses
- To respect confidentiality and any information regarding the children, their families or other staff that is acquired as part of the job
- Undertake other duties appropriate to the grade of the post
Visits to school are welcome by appointment, or if you have specific questions about the post please get in touch. Further information about our lovely school can be found on our website at www.sparkwell.devon.sch.uk.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS disclosure is required for this post.
Over the 15 month apprenticeship, you will work towards the following:
- Level 3 Teaching Assistant Standard
- Behaviours, Skills & Knowledge
- Functional Skills in maths and English at level 2 (if not already exempt through prior qualifications)
You will have regular visits at the workplace from a designated College assessor to observe your progress and competence in the role you are carrying out.
Qualities and skills:
- Ability to work as part of a team and use own initiative
- Ability to communicate effectively with a range of people
- Effective written and oral communication skills required to liaise with pupils, other staff, parents and outside agencies and professionals
- Able to operate office equipment e.g. photocopier
- Keen interest in working with younger children and supporting children with special educational needs
- Willingness to learn and develop one’s own skills and knowledge
- Commitment to diversity and equal opportunities
- Commitment to young children and families
- A friendly, flexible approach
- GCSE’s in English & maths at grade 4/C or above, or equivalent
- Suitability to work with young children (an enhanced DBS check will be performed prior to you starting the role)
There may be the potential for full time employment upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, for the right candidate.