Apply Now

Student Learning Fund

At City College Plymouth, we’re happy to offer financial help to our students where we can towards course-related costs, whether you’re starting or continuing your studies. If you require any more help or advice after reading the information below, just get in touch with the Student Funding team on 01752 305110 or e-mail us at

You can apply for the Student Learning Fund here! The Student Funding team recommends reading the Student Learning Fund Guidance before completing an application here.

The Student Funding team is available throughout the summer to help you complete your application form should you need it. Please contact us to arrange a one-to-one support session, this can be done virtually or over the telephone.


Aged 16-18: you may be eligible for Student Learning Fund support if you have a household income under £21,000.

Travel* applications will be considered up to £25,000

Aged 19+: you may be eligible for Student Learning Fund support if you have a household income under £25,000.

Childcare** applications will be considered up to £30,000.

FREE College Meal Scheme

You could get a FREE college meal if your household income is under £21,000 and you are aged 16-18 on a full-time study programme.


If eligible for the Student Learning Fund, you could get help towards compulsory course-related costs such as; uniform, DBS checks, equipment, trips, mandatory books, and IT.


Aged 16-18: You could be eligible for a free or subsidised bus pass to support your travel to and from college.

Aged 19+: You could be eligible for financial support towards your travel to and from college.

* Eligibility criteria will apply. Click here for more information about getting to and from the College.

FREE Bus Service

The College offers a number of free bus services, in partnership with Plymouth Citybus, for travel between the College and the city centre. They are available to all City College students when they show the driver a current student ID card. Students can travel free of charge on the number 36 service without their student ID card for the first four weeks of the academic year.


Aged 16-19: Students aged 19 and under who need help with the costs of childcare can apply for the Care to Learn scheme.

Aged 20+: Students aged 20+ who need help with the costs of childcare can apply to the Student Learning Fund.

* Eligibility criteria will apply.

16-18 Vulnerable Student Learning Fund

There is a Student Learning Fund available to you if you are aged 16-18 at the start of your course and are in one of the following categories:

  • in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit
  • in Care or is a Care Leaver
  • in receipt of both Disability Living Allowance/PIP (Personal Independence Payment) and Employment Support Allowance.

Please apply using the Student Learning Fund application and provide sufficient, recent evidence.

Residential Support Scheme (RSS)

This can help students aged 16-18 to study a course that is not within a reasonable daily travelling distance from their home – see the Residential Support Scheme for further details.

* Eligibility criteria will apply.

Access to Learning Fund (ALF)

This hardship fund is available for higher education students on a low income who may need extra financial support to stay in higher education. It’s a grant, so you don’t need to pay it back. You can contact our Funding team for a copy of this application form.