T Levels Information for Students
T Levels are a brand new qualification designed to give you a head start towards the future you want. They follow GCSEs and are equivalent to three A Levels.
The two-year T Level qualification brings classroom and work placement together on a course designed with employers and businesses.
You’ll spend 80% of your time in the classroom and 20% on a 45-day placement to give you the skills and knowledge employers are looking for.
Your T Level will help you to step straight into your chosen career, an Apprenticeship or a degree.
Wherever your future is heading, take it to the next level.
These brand-new qualifications are being introduced in stages, with the College pleased to announce it will be delivering nine T Level courses from 2022.
The T Levels on offer at City College from September 2022:
- Building Services Engineering for Construction (Gas Engineering; Heating Engineering & Ventilation; Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
- Digital Production, Design & Development (Design & Development)
- Education & Childcare (Early Years Education & Childcare; Assisting Teaching)
- Engineering, Manufacturing, Processing & Control (Manufacturing Technologies)
- Health (Supporting Healthcare – Supporting the Adult Nursing Team)
- Healthcare Science (Assisting with Healthcare Science; Pharmacy Services)
- Maintenance, Installation & Repair for Engineering & Manufacturing (Mechanical; Electrical & Electronic; Vehicles)
- Onsite Construction (Bricklaying; Carpentry & Joinery; Painting & Decorating; Plastering)
- Science (Laboratory Sciences; Food Sciences).
Of the nine T Levels to be offered at the College from September, seven will comprise occupational specialisms, allowing you full control of which direction your studies will take.
The occupational specialisms are in the brackets of the courses listed above.
Each T Level will include core components, and these could overlap with some of the units taught on other T Levels. For example, there will be some shared units between the Science and Healthcare Science T Levels, covering the essential knowledge and skills for both courses.
T Levels give you the opportunity to experience an industry while you continue your studies, with the opportunity to specialise later. While gaining practical experience, you also achieve the qualifications needed to move into a higher level of study if you choose to later.
Apprenticeships are paid, work-based training for those who know what occupation they want to pursue.
T Levels offer a new way to support the city’s valuable employers by providing them with talented, work-ready youngsters who have the potential to become future industry leaders.
T Levels will raise the profile of technical education and shine a light on the highly valued skills needed in various industries that offer well-paid, lifelong careers. These industries include science, engineering manufacturing and digital technologies.
These qualifications will go some way to mitigate the growing skills gap, and support the growth of these industries, in turn creating more well-paid and high-level jobs for Plymouth and the wider region.
T Levels will also support the city in achieving some of its goals, particularly in relation to growing the above-mentioned industries, but also the city’s sustainability goals.
Complete the enquiry form below and one of the College’s Information Team will give you a ring!