This course is aimed at qualified fitness professionals who wish to learn how to provide assistance/advice and design exercise programmes for people with certain medical conditions which put their health at risk.
The course includes the following:
- the heart, circulatory system, musculoskeletal system, nervous system, endocrine system, and energy systems and their relation to exercise and health. Posture and core stability
- how to collect and use information relating to nutrition
- the relationship between nutrition and physical activity, the principles and guidelines relating to nutrition and nutritional goal setting with clients, and the nationally recommended practice to provide nutritional advice
- the principles of collecting information to plan an exercise referral programme, the principles of risk stratification in exercise referral and the principles and procedures of record keeping
- how to identify goals with exercise referral patients and instruct, adapt, and review exercise session with these patients. how to plan, prepare, monitor and adapt an exercise referral programme with patients and understand the importance of long term behaviour change for these patients
- the current healthcare systems in the UK, the exercise referral process, the roles and responsibilities of the professional within an exercise referral scheme and the role and importance of exercise referral, related policies and key documents
- the concept of a patient centred approach
- the clinical features of medical conditions relevant to exercise referral programmes, the relationship between exercise and specified exercise referral medical conditions, the accepted methods for treatment/management of medical conditions relevant to exercise referral programmes and how to programme safe, effective exercise programmes for patients with specified exercise referral medical conditions.
You will need to have one or more of the following:
- YMCA Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing, or equivalent
- YMCA Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
- YMCA Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Pilates
- YMCA Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga.
You will be assessed via coursework, a portfolio of evidence, practical demonstration/assignment and a practical examination.
This qualification can lead to employment as an ‘Exercise Referral Instructor’ or in any role that involves tailoring exercise for people with medical conditions covered by the qualification. It provides progression to other qualifications at the same and higher levels, for example:
- Level 4 Certificate in Weight Management for Individuals with Obesity, Diabetes Mellitus and/or Metabolic Syndrome
- Level 4 Certificate in Programming Physical Activity for Individuals with Low Back Pain
- Level 4 Certificate in Delivering Physical Activity for Individuals with Mental Health Conditions
- any level 4 specialist exercise instructor qualifications.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2020/21 (August 2020 – July 2021). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2021/22.
If you are aged 16-18, due to Government funding, tuition fees may not be applicable for your course. (Please note: this does not apply to Foundation Degrees or Access to Higher Education courses, and other courses not eligible for public funding.)
Course Code: YMDER
A Full Course Fee: £1650
B Reduced Course Fee (for those in receipt of qualifying benefits): Not applicable to this course
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): Not applicable to this course
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: £1650
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 18|
|19 - 23||may be free).(Note: If you do not have a level 3 qualification, this course|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.