Are you inspired by games and want to develop your own? Do you want to design the next big adventure game, write the next action-horror or program the biggest arena shooter yet? Then this study programme is the one for you!
We’ll show you how the games development industry works, and teach you the skills you need to work within it. You will develop your ability within all areas of game design on this exciting and immersive course. On completion of your first year, you will gain a subsidiary diploma. You can then progress to a second year to achieve a full extended diploma which is equivalent to three A Levels.
You will study games design including the use of digital graphics and the various platforms and technologies within the industry. This course continues the focus on the design and production aspects of games development. The diploma part of this course allows you to hone your skills in a range of subjects which you will use when you progress to a career in the games development industry.The course maintains the focus on the design and product aspects of games development through:
- the development of level design skills
- the use of industry-standard 3D game development software
- the investigation of various platforms and technologies used within the industry
- the development of both 2D and 3D game levels to add to your portfolio
- the creation of a game story
There is also a requirement to complete functional skills and a project unit.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
In our experience in order to be successful on this course you will need one of the following:
- four GCSEs at grades 9-4 (A*-C), including English
- a full level 2 extended certificate/diploma at MERIT grade in a relevant subject area, such as computing or media.
You will be required to provide an example of your work – this could include some concept art, scripting code, a small demo of a game/level, a link to a Youtube channel (game related), a word-processed review for a game (published or non-published), a story for a game, or any other example which might be relevant.
Assessment is via a mix of assignments completed in College and at home. There is a portfolio for the project unit and exams for functional skills.
On successful completion of the extended diploma you may progress to:
- the Foundation Degree in Game Design and Production at the College
- employment within the gaming industry as, for example a games tester, a games designer or a general software developer.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2018/19 (August 2018 – July 2019). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2019/20.
Course Code: GNA
A Full Course Fee: £3500
B Reduced Course Fee (for those in receipt of qualifying benefits): Not applicable to this course
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): Not applicable to this course
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: £3500
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 18|
|19 - 23||may be free).(Note: If you do not have a level 3 qualification, this course|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.
"The contact time with the lecturers was great! I was always able to get helpful feedback on my projects and assignments."Read Success Story