Are you looking for a job as a nail technician? Our Apprenticeships at City College Plymouth are the perfect choice for any aspiring nail technicians who want to earn as they learn. If you are already working in the industry, our course gives you the chance to study for a recognised qualification that will help you get ahead. Many students use the intermediate Apprenticeship in Nail Services qualification as their starting point and go on to study other qualifications to widen their skill base. You’ll receive training and assessment in providing manicures, pedicures and nail art services, and we’ll introduce you to the anatomy and physiology related to each treatment. We’ll also teach you about health and safety in the workplace, employment skills and reception duties. On successful completion you may continue your studies and work towards a level 3 advanced Apprenticeship in Nail Services. You can also work in beauty salons or nail studios, while alternative career opportunities exist in wholesale, retail and marketing. The advanced Apprenticeship in Nail Services will develop skills previously learnt within the industry and will require commitment and creativity to undertake such advanced nail techniques. It will provide the advanced techniques required to enhance the look of hands and nails, including creative nail art design, and will give you the necessary skills to prepare you for employment as a nail technician. On successful completion you may progress to a Level 4 Diploma in Management Practice and Advanced Techniques in the Hair and Beauty Sector, or a wide range of careers as a nail technician on cruise liners, in nail bars and salons. Please note: in order for you to practice nail services you will need to purchase a uniform and a nail kit. Full details will provided at interview.
Subjects studied on the intermediate Apprenticeship include:
- Fulfil salon reception duties.
- Develop and maintain your effectiveness at work competence.
- Promote additional services or products to clients.
- Ensure responsibility for actions to reduce risks to health and safety.
- Provide manicure services.
- Provide pedicure services.
- Carry out nail art services.
- Apply and maintain nail enhancements to create a natural finish.
Subjcts studied on the advanced Apprenticeship include:Four theory-based units which include:
- health and safety in the salon.
- client care and communication.
- promotion and sales.
- working with colleagues in beauty related industries.
Six practical-based units which include:
- application and maintenance of nail enhancements (using three different systems).
- airbrush designs for nails.
- design and application of nail art techniques.
- creation of an image based on a theme within the industry.
You will also work towards:
- Functional Skills in maths and English.
- Employers Rights and Responsibilities.
- Personal Learning and thinking skills (PLTS) – Independent enquiry, creative thinking, reflective thinking, team working, self-management and effective participation.
Acceptance on this Apprenticeship is via initial assessment. Usually, progression onto the advanced Apprenticeship is on completition of an intermediate qualification.
Assessment is through a combination of exams and assignments.
On successful completion, you may wish to continue your studies by moving onto a higher level Apprenticeship or course. You could also benefit from greatly enhanced job opportunities, whether with your current employer or elsewhere.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2018/19 (August 2018 – July 2019). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2019/20.